[Help] - pump volume louder than it will allow?

ripken204

i hooked some sterio speakers up to my comp but i cant rly adjust the volume on the speakers to make it go any louder. both the winamp and windows audio is on 100% but its rly only sounding normal volume. i want the volume to go louder. is there any way i can do this thru windows?

what i did have is my comp hooked up to a receiver and then to my speakers but my receiver is on its way out. and with the receiver i was able to adjust the volume big time but now i cant.

Title Edited - Please follow new forum rules from now on

-- Martin L

i don't quite follow, i'm guessing you have your comp connected to your stereo using a 3.5mm (normal headphone jack) to RCA (Red and White cable used in T.V.s).. if so couldn't you just turn up the volume on the stereo?..

"with the receiver i was able to adjust the volume big time but now i cant."

why can't you now?

i don't think theres a way to force windows to make it louder, i believe that is restricted by your sound card... maybe to prevent damage to the card or the speakers/headphones/your ears lol..

so i believe your only solution would be to get powered speakers.. even with my powered speakers i never had to raise the volume more then 1/2 of the volume knob on them.

Im experiencing quite the same issue, although its a notebook. It just doesnt play loud enough in some movies which are recorded silent. With music playing there is no prob, the loudspeakers are strong enough. I would love to have an app, that can turn up the sound even more. Looking for that too....

Any suggestions? Thanks in forward

Are these high bitrate movies and sound files?

For movies encoded in AC3 audio, you'll need the AC3 Filter to push up the sound. It's encoded that way because AC3 has much more capability than the regular encodings.

For MP3s, anything less than 192 kbps tend to be fairly quiet in my opinion. Of course, if even MP3s sound like they're at normal levels when you push it way up, then it's probably not the bitrate.

Edited by Asin

Yes, most of these repsonses are correct. Your receiver also acts as an amplifier, so if you are no longer using it, you are limit by the output wattage of your current sound card, which usually isn't much. If you want to power full size stereo speaker you should definately use some kind of amplifier or receiver with preamp outputs. Upgrading your sound card may improve the output, but it is unlikely that you will find one that will provide the kind of power you are looking for, if you really want to "pump it up". You can also purchase computer speakers that include subwoofers and amps that deliver pretty decent sound.

As for Laser21, Asin's advice may be what you are looking for.

Edited by TheFlash428

the prob is that there is no amp... which is what my receiver is for. but i want surround sound which means i will then have to get a new receiver

i dont want/like computer speakeres. my sterio speakers just sound much better

From what I gather, you've got your stereo speakers plugged directly into your computer?

If you're doing that, you're running the risk of blowing whatever amp is on your soundcard. Computer sound cards were never designed to drive large stereo speakers directly. Any speakers over 30W have their own built in amplifiers to modulate the signal coming from your sound card.

Buy a new reciever or amplifier. You'll solve your problem and protect your new hardware that way.

No problem. I know this because I actually did it to one of the first computers we had... it had a SoundBlaster 16 Pro I think, until it met its demise (aka my mom's big stereo speakers). :blushing: