[Error] - Unable to connect to Logical Disk Manager service

BigDaddy

This could be any number of things - NTFS permissions have been locked down on the files in question, dll's may have become unregistered or corrupted, or the actual Logical Disk Manager service failed to start or is hung in a starting or stopping state.

You can do the following for the above issues:

1. Check the NTFS permissions on the DCOM object itself

2. If you can find the AppID for the CLSID listed in the event viewer, you should be able to find what application it is and try re-registering the .exe's in DCOM.

3. Try stopping and starting the Logical Disk Manager and Logical Disk Manager Administration services

4. Disable startup items and services via msconfig or autoruns and see if the problem returns after a reboot

6. Uncheck the "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop" within the RPC service and reboot if it is checked.

7. Check the DCOM NTFS permissions specific to the application.

If al else fails, read KB193888 on the Microsoft site to try and delay the service from starting:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=193888

Good luck.

How do I achieve the following:

1. Check the NTFS permissions on the DCOM object itself

2. If you can find the AppID for the CLSID listed in the event viewer, you should be able to find what application it is and try re-registering the .exe's in DCOM.

7. Check the DCOM NTFS permissions specific to the application.

Tried 3-6 but doesn't help. I also spoted the same error on a friends machine.

Do you have dmadmin.exe in system32 ? because one time for me, I have deleted this because I'm thinking about dmware but in fact it's an original name of logical disk management .. so check if it's present ...

Goodbye.

ps: you can run sfc /scannow to check all system files too ...

Do you have dmadmin.exe in system32 ? because one time for me, I have deleted this because I'm thinking about dmware but in fact it's an original name of logical disk management .. so check if it's present ...

Goodbye.

ps: you can run sfc /scannow to check all system files too ...

I have DMADMIN.EXE

C:\Documents and Settings\Tom>sfc /scannow
Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.
].

It's probably cos WFP is disabled on my machine

edit: Tried this utility http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Windo...er/1106499902/1 and it says its enabled!!

edit2: SFC now works. I have disabled and then again enabled it and it started to work.

But it constantly asks me 4 a CD and then it says that the CD is not the right one. Although its 100% the same WXP CD I used for installation. And this WXP installation is less than a month old.

Edited by BigDaddy

Perhaps set the service from Manual to Automatic, and see what happens? It's a timeout issue between the service and the COM manager - as to why, I'm not sure. As for the SFC CD issue, if your CD isn't the same service pack level as the machine you're trying to repair, you can get these errors. If so, you'll need to slipstream your installation source with the correct service pack before it'll work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Try this:

1. Rename %windir%\system32\clbcatq.dll to %windir%\system32\~clbcatq.dll. Note the tilde "~" at the start of the file name.

2. ***Restart the computer in SAFE MODE***

3. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

4. Back up the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3

Delete the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3

5. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and type "cd %windir%" (without the quotation marks), then press ENTER.

6. Type "rmdir /s Registration" (without the quotation marks), and press ENTER. This is the location folder of the registration database.

7. ***Restart the computer regularly***

7. Click on Start, point to Settings, and then select Control Panel.

***THIS REQUIRES THAT YOU HAVE THE WINDOWS CD***

8. Double-click Add/Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.

9. Simply click "Next" to go through the reinstall process. This will reinstall COM+. Any third party COM+ applications will also need to be reinstalled.

10. ***Restart the computer***

crap. I quess I will have to reinstall WinXP for this error to get fixed

Yep. Because you're getting RPC-related errors, you may be infected with the dreaded Blaster virus.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP