Super Windows XP SP1 CD :-)

I think I have a perfect (or almost) list of Hotfixes now. The one thing that is kicking my but is the fact that I can't get the uxtheme.dll to copy over properly. I have used almost the exact same lines as Aaron and I watch the files copy over successfully in the script. But when the system is completed, the files that are in the system32 and dllcache folders are dated the same as the old ones. The ones made by M$ are dated 9/29 and the patched one is dated 9/30. All the files in my system folders are dated 9/29 for some reason. Here is the portion of script for uxtheme.dll:

ECHO Installing patched SP1 uxtheme.dll ...

REN %systemroot%\system32\dllcache\uxtheme.dll uxtheme.old

COPY "%systemdrive%\Install\Systemfiles\uxtheme.dll" "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\"

REN %systemroot%\system32\uxtheme.dll uxtheme.old

COPY "%systemdrive%\Install\systemfiles\uxtheme.dll" "%systemroot%\system32\"

Any thoughts on this?

So Aaron, did you run hfnetchk on a base installation of XP SP1 to see exactly what hotfixes you needed?

yup.

And for your other question on uxtheme, I've had a similar problem when I replaced notepad with metapad, Windows restored it back to the original because its restoring from the Windows CD. It will help a lot to take the CD out when the GuiRunOnce batch has started. (yeah WFP is a b*tch)

Hey GeckoTec, you should use xcopy instead of the copy function, the copy function limits you alot, where as the xcopy function gives you more options to do your coping.

There is a tool which helps to simplify this, you can save the text it out puts for you and incorporate it into your bat files.

WinXcopy

Sunil

I'm familiar w/ XCOPY and use it in my script. In what way would it be better in this piece of script?

Aaron, what do you think of compressing the patched uxtheme.dll and replacing the one on the CD w/ it instead of copying it over like we do?

Gamehead, you can delete certain files in a directory defining the delete command and the path of the directory you the specific files to be deleted from. You can't define the type of files to left in the directory after the deletion has finished, but you can specify all all the different types of files you want deleted, leaving the ones you don't want out e.g say under the c drive we have bitmaps, text files and gif files we can specify each type that we want deleted

@echo off

echo This will delete all bitmap adn gif files in the C:\Drive

echo.

del %systemdrive%\*.bmp

del %systemdrive%\*.gif

end

The code defined above deletes all files in the c drive that are bitmaps and gifs leaving only text files. You can change the path to any thing you like eg folders that have special names etc. eg C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop..

Sunil

Yea, I know I can do it like that, but I was wondering if there was an easier way... :)

Aaron, what do you think of compressing the patched uxtheme.dll and replacing the one on the CD w/ it instead of copying it over like we do?

Ok, I tried this and it worked w/ one small hangup I need to figure out. The installation gave me an error message and I had to choose "skip file." Apparently it didn't really skip it though. I'll keep looking into it. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

You can't do that unfortunately, because of the digital signatures that XP Setup checks for. There doesn't seem to be a known workaround, and probably never will be.

Ok, one of my friends is pointing me toward the CAT files. Looking further into this.

Edit: Thinking again about this, seems too much during just the text portion of setup. Gotta be something more simple it's checking (like the layout.inf or something else.)

Edit2: I'm starting to think it is more of a CRC check. I found the value in the Setup.log, but what does it check against?

Geckotek, I think the reason that your files seem to be the same ones that you are trying to overwrite is because windows file protection is active, this will replace the files you have overwritten with the originals.

I have no thoughts on how you may overcome this as yet, but will do some research....

Sunil

Yeah, I realize that, but now I have found a whole new challenge I can't let go of. I MUST defeat SFC!!! Eh, I'll give it a day or two before I give up, but I've already read where people have done it. I think it involves hex editing the SFC_OS.dll file. It just seems that the error I'm getting during the text install is something simpler than that. Something more along the lines of a CRC check. The reason being is all the CAT files needed are being copied over at the same time as the uxtheme.dll file that is getting the error. No advanced signature checking could really be setup at that time.

I'll let you know if I get anywhere w/ this or just give up.

Aaron....care to share your .reg file? E-mail maybe? :)

Oh, and one BIG problem I'm having. I haven't gotten around to automating the install of Office XP yet. After manually installing Office XP SP2, I get errors regarding accessing the registry. Any ideas?

Aaron, would you be able to email to me the files needed to created this cd, and I'll host them on my webserver until there is a dedicated section on MSFN?