[Question] Using PCAnywhere on a 100mbit network

Aaron

Has anybody found that controlling another PC over a 100mbit LAN is slightly slow? I would have expected it to be really fast.

There is some annoying slight delays in opening the start menu, scrolling a window, or anything else.

Has anybody got any tips on how I can optimize this so I can get full speed. I control other PCs in 256 colour mode and its still **** slow. I would have expected it to be smooth in 16 or 24bit colour on a 100mbit!!

File Transfers go at 8-10mb/sec if that's of any help.

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

--Sonic

Guest LouCypher

I'd guess it's a problem w/ PC Anywhere. I regulary use Remote Desktop over my 10Mb LAN and it's fast enough to play DivX movies on the XP machine over the network.

I did notice it seemd to run a little bit FASTER when comrpession was turned OFF.

I'd guess it's a problem w/ PC Anywhere. I regulary use Remote Desktop over my 10Mb LAN and it's fast enough to play DivX movies on the XP machine over the network.

I did notice it seemd to run a little bit FASTER when comrpession was turned OFF. [/quote:950dcc88ea]

You actually watched a DivX movie through a Remote Desktop window on another PC? wow!

If I ever watch a video on another PC through PC Anywhere it would slide down like an image every 3 secs. terrible.

It is a PC anywhere problem, ive used it on my 100mg network to and its crap yet if i use remote desktop in XP i can do all sorts, even with all the eye candy going and its quick enough.

I also use a program called reachout which also works quick

Regards,

BAH

Guest LouCypher

I'd use Remote Desktop over VNC.

Last time I checked out VNC it didn't do the audio redirection and other cool stuff that Remote Desktop did, it's not as integrated into the OS and doesn't use the builtin Windows userid/password but a seperate password running for the VNC service.

I can play MP3s on the XP machine and listen to them on my 300MHz laptop in the other room over 10MB ethernet. I can watch DivX movies being played on the XP machine on my laptop over Remote Desktop. I can use almost any program on my XP machine from my laptop. I can't watch TV, because it uses an overlay, and Tribes 2 doesn't work, but oh well. I have my laptop set at the screen's 1024x768 but my RDP window is 800x600.

Guest LouCypher

I understand that PC Anywhere breaks Remote Desktop as well as fast user switching and the LogonUI screen. Will uninstalling PC Anywhere get it back, or am I stuck? :nerves [/quote:fc15e31861]

Probably would fix it. There is also two locations in the registry you can change to enable both. Check here.

• 4 years later...

I use VNC to control PC's regularly and personally dont recommend it. I also have used UltraVnc with waaaay better results and also alot more features like file sharing and a few others that WinVNC does not have.

I use RealVNC4 easy to use, basic remote desktop, but has the advantage to keep the controled system open and the user can view what we do ...

Remote Desktop for a "big/long operation", fatest, more integrated ... more professionnal :) but has the incovenient to close/lock the session of controled system ...

• 2 years later...