Unattended install using USB Flash Drive

I need to perform an unattended install of Windows XP on computers that have USB 2.0 ports and do NOT have DVD/CD ROM drives.

I have 4GB USB Flash Drives and the contents of the entire unattended XP will fit on the device.

Does anyone have detailed instructions and utilities for making the USB Flash Hard Drive bootable (with master boot record) and the required smarts to invoke the unattended install from the device to the internal IDE hard drive?

An approach based solely on using Windows and not linux is preferred.

Thanks

P.S. This topic is about using the Flash Drive as the installation point and NOT about installing Windows XP onto a Flash Drive.

P.S. I know that RIS is another option, but would like to explore bootable USB Flash Drives.

Edited by techxp

Hmm.. I can think of three things.. :unsure:

1 - if the mobo allows bootable usb devices and you simply boot from the usb drive

2 - if the computers have a standard floppy disk, then check out this site for a start to dos usb drivers

3 - if the mobo recognizes a usb floppy drive as a standard floppy? then you could use #2

Just getting into theories here. I have no experience with booting or installing from usb :whistle:

• 1 month later...

Hmmm ... I'm curious about this myself :hello: . A thought - maybe you can:

1. format the drives as a MS-DOS startup disk (right-click the usb-stick and choose format, cross the option for formating as a startupdisk - which is in fact a Windows ME startup disk).

2. Copy all files (OS + extras AND winnt.sif)

3. Run the installation from commandline. Create a .bat file which runs the installation and points to the .sif file.

Could this work? Are there any better methods? Or what? :blink:

Don't want to seem rude or anything like that, but you really should search:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=61049

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=61384

You see, if everyone comes here and starts a new thread, good (and bad) info will be scattered around, if we try our best to keep a small number of active threads it will be easier to find them and the infos are kept together.

jaclaz