Remote Desktop

BigDaddy

A friend of mine has some Windows problems(whats new) and she knows nothing about computers. Normally I would just driver to her and have a look. But the problem is distance, since she's 200km's away from me. SO our only option is REMOTE DESKTOP.

I wish to know which programs to install so that they would JUST and SIMPLY WORK. Cos Windows' Remote Desktop only works if U have a password set in Windows username but she doesn't. And it's kinda hard to tell someone what to do by phone.

She uses WinXP with SP2 probably and probably also windows firewall. And has ISDN 64Kbit connection 4 internet

It is a lot easier to instruct someone by phone than by text. Tell her to enable a password on her user account and how to set up Remote Desktop, then you won't have to worry about it. Just so you know, it uses port 3389.

If you want to spend some time, I think this would be what you need:

http://www.uvnc.com/addons/singleclick.html

It's a special version of UltraVNC...they designed it so the user (Your friend) only needs to download and then execute. Of course, you need to take the time to set it up before you send it. This wouldn't require any extra applications other than the actual file, and it doesn't mess with passwords and firewalls and such...very nice indeed!

It's logmein.com

And it's a great application, no config needed in regards to routers. But, you have to sign up for the account and configure for external access unless you give out all your login info. It's nice, but for something like this it's probably not what he needs. They do have paid versions that offer a single .exe that setups up everything, but it costs $$$.