Monitors - Which is better?

smithxi

Not necessarily. I just picked up a Dell 2405FPW and it's absolutely top notch performance from this beast. No ghosting or tearing and playing games on WS is really something. I dont even have to comment on video quality as I have been introduced to a completely different way of watching movies with this LCD.

Okay, maybe I should have added 'In some people's preference'. I still prefer CRTs for gaming because for some strange reason LCDs will tend to make my eye hurt and give me a headache after an hour of continuous gameplay. Otherwise LCD screens of today are very nice.

First, LCD's dont have refresh rate. Its the repsonse time. Most of the new LCD's with less than 10ms are excellent for gaming. And since you are really into gaming and if you don't wanna shell out a lot of cash then you should get the dell 2005fpw. With a 8ms repsonse time and also wide screen, gaming will kick a$$ on this monitor. Wait for dell deals and you might be able to pick up this beauty for less than 400 bucks shipped.

Tom's Hardware said that majority of these monitors tested out to perform at 30 ms response times. Is this true?

First, LCD's dont have refresh rate. Its the repsonse time. Most of the new LCD's with less than 10ms are excellent for gaming. And since you are really into gaming and if you don't wanna shell out a lot of cash then you should get the dell 2005fpw. With a 8ms repsonse time and also wide screen, gaming will kick a$$ on this monitor. Wait for dell deals and you might be able to pick up this beauty for less than 400 bucks shipped.

Tom's Hardware said that majority of these monitors tested out to perform at 30 ms response times. Is this true?

You actually believe those a$$e$ at Tom's Hardware??? :whistle:

You actually believe those a$$e$ at Tom's Hardware??? :whistle:

haha, yeah. it's not like you can believe the big companies to the fullest.

HEY FREE IPOD, JUST CLICK HERE!!!.....LOL

and whoever mentioned before about the sony having better color i believe you said, that now brings up a new debate.

IS the NEC the better monitor of the two simply because of the fact, like you said, "it's built better"???

Yes, but no. The response times the manufacturers are advertising only represent grey to grey. Changing to two completely different colours takes a lot longer.

that and i suppose that even though the eye cannot recognize it, (or maybe it can), the crt's are producing better, more indepth color.

maybe in like 20 years when lcd's turn into the price of olcd's or plasma's, but for now it's far more functional to buy crt.

Edited by smithxi

The problem that I have with LCD displays is the contrast ratio typically around 500 to 1

Where as a crt or plasma displays can have a contrast ratio of around 10000 to one. Lcd’s just do not have good black levels.

IMHO

well the top end lcd's now look better than the top end crt's

even so, i certainly wouldn't want to spend that much money just to have an LCD monitor that's better than a CRT one. I spent $100 on my last monitor...well my dad did anyway...my old one just up and died while playing a game.

The contrast ratio on a crt display ( the ratio of white to black ) is only limited by the amount of room light reflected from the screen.

The contrast ratio of an LCD display is limited not only by reflected light but by the efficiency of the polarizing filter and the twist of the liquid crystal medium.

In a dark non-reflective room a CRT display will still not give you an infinite contrast ratio as some of the light from the phosphors is reflected back from the surface of the glass ( change of index of refraction at the air/glass boundary ) and adds brightness to the surface of the phosphors reducing the contrast ratio.

It's the same effect as seeing reflections off a pond.

Edited by RJM