Monitors - Which is better?

smithxi

I’d go with the Samsung ( Shadowmask ) instead of the NEC. The NEC uses aperture grill technology (Sony CRT ) and I never did like seeing those thin lines going from left to right about ¼ the way down from the top and the other ¼ the way up from the bottom (they hold the aperture grill in place). Although they are hard to see, once you know where they are the can be really be annoying. They are especialy easy to see when looking at a full white screen.

Why are There Fine Lines Across My Trinitron Monitor or TV?

These are not a defect - they are a 'feature'. :-)

All Trinitron (or clone) CRTs - tubes that use an aperture grille - require 1, 2, or 3 very fine wires across the screen to stabilize the array of vertical wires in the aperture grille. Without these, the display would be very sensitive to any shock or vibration and result in visible shimmering or rippling. (In fact, even with these stabilizing wires, you can usually see this shimmering if you whack a Trinitron monitor.) The lines you see are the shadows cast by these fine wires.

The number of wires depends on the size of the screen. Below 15" there is usually a single wire; between 15" and 21" there are usually 2 wires; above 21" there may be 3 wires.

Only you can decide if this deficiency is serious enough to avoid the use of a Trinitron based monitor. Some people never get used to the fine lines but many really like the generally high quality of Trinitron based displays and eventually totally ignore them.

Edited by RJM

Is there any particular reason why you are going for CRT's and not LCD's???

CRTs are still preferred for graphical applications such as gaming, video editing or photo-related work because they display a more 'true' color and isn't prone to problems that LCD screens have with moving graphics such as ghosting, tearing and bleeding colors.

Is there any particular reason why you are going for CRT's and not LCD's???

CRTs are still preferred for graphical applications such as gaming, video editing or photo-related work because they display a more 'true' color and isn't prone to problems that LCD screens have with moving graphics such as ghosting, tearing and bleeding colors.

Not necessarily. I just picked up a Dell 2405FPW and it's absolutely top notch performance from this beast. No ghosting or tearing and playing games on WS is really something. I dont even have to comment on video quality as I have been introduced to a completely different way of watching movies with this LCD.

no, the colors won't be in-depth enough, and the refresh rate won't be fast enough. i'll try my luck with the samsung and probably order it tomorrow or the next day. i'll be without a monitor for a while, but i'll be on my laptop, so i'll check the post. thanks for all the help everyone. get your oppinions in now before i buy it. if you think there's anything better out there, let me know now. i'm sure this choice will be more that nice anyways. thanks much.

Edited by smithxi

First, LCD's dont have refresh rate. Its the repsonse time. Most of the new LCD's with less than 10ms are excellent for gaming. And since you are really into gaming and if you don't wanna shell out a lot of cash then you should get the dell 2005fpw. With a 8ms repsonse time and also wide screen, gaming will kick a$$ on this monitor. Wait for dell deals and you might be able to pick up this beauty for less than 400 bucks shipped.