How often do you reinstall?

fdv

How nuts do you get about Windows?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you reinstall?

• My cousin set my machine up years ago.
    • Only after a catastropic failure, like 2+ years.
    • Once a year or less.
    • Every 6 months or less.
    • Every 3 months or less.
    • Once a month.
    • Once a week.
  2. 2. If you use the FDV fileset, nLite, or other software, do you mod Windows...

• primarily to learn.
    • primarily to get every performance gain that I can.
    • primarily to save on system resources, my machine is old.
    • primarily to keep windows stable (by removing buggy or exploitable parts).
    • I'm a gamer, I need mucho FPS.
    • I multiboot, I need the space on my HDD.
    • Just because Bill Gates says not to.
  3. 3. Say that MS releases 10 hotfixes next month. Do you:

• Run a hotfix integrator program, make a new CD, and reinstall.
    • Apply the hotfixes without reinstalling.

i once installed windows 3.1 25 times in an afternoon, but that was when K7654 was being laid out.

for windows nt, i did five installs in a day, before i found out what snap-shot meant.

for windows 2k, i did about three installs in a day, largely testing out the fdv files.

generally, i avoid doing installs of #1 system, because one learns more from trying to keep the poor dear going.

Wendy

I hardly ever, Reinstall, its more like finding new ways to further improve my dear win2k machine, that recuires to futher adapt the install process

exept for my test machine ofcaure, i switch all the time, to day its running windows tomorrow probebly a hacked version of the new x86 mod to OSX and the day after tomorrow id could as easely be a new flavor of linux

and hey i still didn't come around testing what sun solaris for x86 looks like, so only god knows it might be next sunday.

do i tweak windows? hell yeah, if windows is like the bible id burn, i tell ya... no reay, its a about ripping out the d*mn parts MS should have never put in, in the first place (imho). but in the mean time it, ofcaurse is a great learning curve.

but the last question seams a bit of, for example answers might be,

> sorry didn't nead the update, i already nlted the bug.

> update what update, you mean the new bugg MS wants me to add

> doing but, install it on my machine and add it the the slipsream list, for future intergration.

Too bad there isn't a daily option :) Sometimes it gets that frequent, but I'm counting my corporate network in this as well. But even before that, when I was an onsite repair tech it was still daily...and even before that it was almost daily cause I was learning all this stuff...

Now on my personal rig, I only reload every month or three now, since I really don't use it other than for surfing and downloading. Back when I was playing games and trying out all kinds of applications it was weekly.

And what is FDV? Can't say I've ever seen that acronym...File Difference Verification?

And what is FDV?

my initials. i made an easy way to remove internet explorer from windows 2000.

you download files, then drag and drop into i386 (replacing anything there already) and then burn, and you are IE-free.

the page also has details how to make an updated fully patched and slipstreamed windows (2000, xp, 2003).

click the graphic in the sig for more info.

Ahahahahaha!

Great topic, horrible poll.

I use a virtual machine for testing new builds with hotfix integration and I release them as test candidates. To be honest I not only reinstall Windows but several flavors of Windows each day.

The host operating system gets reinstalled once a year on my network controller and whenever I feel like it on my development box. That comes out to about once every 6 months. I look for performance gains when using virtual machines. So far MCE2005 gives absolutely no problems as the host OS. Windows XP Home limits me too much while Pro is a memory hog...I wonder why. o.O

Good Poll, though I suppose it could have had the "Daily" option for the basement troll dwelling anti-sun people that have nothing better to do :ph34r: B)

The 10 hotfix question was a bit misleading though, I voted just manually install... but from my experience the average monthly hotfix release is less than a handful. I think if it was 10 - I'd likely take the opportunity to reinstall though.

Good Poll, though I suppose it could have had the "Daily" option for the basement troll dwelling anti-sun people that have nothing better to do :ph34r: B)

Ahaha! <3!

The 10 hotfix question was a bit misleading though, I voted just manually install... but from my experience the average monthly hotfix release is less than a handful. I think if it was 10 - I'd likely take the opportunity to reinstall though.

No it's vague because it isn't mentioned what they apply to. Sure 10 hotfixes is no big deal on XP Pro, but what about Windows 2000 Pro? Windows 2000 Adv Server? Windows XP MCE? Windows Server 2003.......:wacko: 10 things is simple as long as it isn't 10 things that can go wrong and 10 things to check. =/

You know, I didn't even think to count VMWare. I do a setup on that at least once a day if I have time...

FDV...I see now, that's clever. I checked out the site, and while it is easy in the end it's just a little ironic that the link is like thirty pages long! :D But that's all due to good documentation, so I'm just laughing with you!

Me: :D

Every 6 months or less on my real PC

(but maybe once or twice daily on VMware)...

Just because Bill Gates says not to. :P:P

(but also to learn, to get more fps and save resources too...)

Apply the hotfixes without reinstalling. Unless there's

a radical upgrade like Windows XP Service Pack 3 or something...

Edited by ChipCraze23