For PROFESSIONELS ONLY

wilkol

Hallo @all,

I've written a little tool for rewriting filetime after "re-cabbing" the files during tommyp's slipstreaming-process.

This tool is for PROFESSIONELS ONLY, because I modify tommyp's "HFSLIP_xxxxx.CMD".

This tool can only be used at file revision "HFSLIP_51109.CMD". For other (older) file revisions are my modifications INCORRECT!!!!

My tool is written in "AutiIt 3.1" and free for ALL to use. Inside the download-file "RewriteTime.zip" below are 3 files.

1. "RewriteTime.au3". This is the uncompiled code and yours can see, what I do.

2. "RewriteTime.exe". This is the compiled file for rewriting the original filetime after "re-cabbing".

This file can ONLY be used during slipstreaming-process from "HFSLIP_xxxxx.CMD"!! Otherwise appears an error message (file not found!).

3. "call_integrate.txt". Inside this file are the modifications for "HFSLIP_xxxxx.CMD". Between the comments "REM modified by Willi" are MY modifications for using the "RewriteTime.exe".

What's to do:

1. Download the file "RewriteTime.zip" below and unzip files in your "HFSLIP\HFTOOLS" folder. The executable MUST BE in THIS folder!!! The other files you can delete later. If the file "RewriteTime.exe" is missing in this folder, nothing happens. The "re-cabbing" files keep their filetime from the day of slipstreaming.

2. Best way, exchange the complete!! call-routine ":INTEGRATE" in tommyp's "HFSLIP_xxxxx.CMD" with my modifications from file "call_integrate.txt". I hope, tommyp has no problems with my modifications :) .

or

3. Exchange these 10 lines between my comments (REM modified by Willi) from file "call_integrate.txt" in tommyp's call-routine ":INTEGRATE" from file "HFSLIP_xxxxx.CMD".

That's all. Run slipstreaming...

During slipstreaming-process - after "re-cabbing" appears a little splashbox on screen with a progressbar and file names. The "RewriteTime.exe" can be used with a parameter /s for silent-mode (see my comments at file "call_integrate.txt"). With parameter /s or /S appears NO splashbox. The duration for rewriting the original filetime is ~15-30 secs.

I hope, I could a little help yours for a better splipstreaming-cd.

Best regards from Germany,

Willi.

I could've sworn there was a file attached to the main post yesterday; I should've downloaded it...

BTW... Is there a document (or two) explaining the purpose of this? I mean, I do set the time stamp on the "visible" files when creating the ISO with UltraISO but I do that only for cosmetics. I didn't know this was actually necessary -- let alone for the files inside driver.cab.

This isn't for changing filestamps of files INSIDE cabs (unless I am reading this wrong). It's for changing the timestamp on the cabfile itself - like WinRAR's ability to set the rarFile Date to "Latest File Time" (or Current System Time or Original Archive Time).

Uii, uii, sooo many questions - and than MY bad English :blushing: - but I'll see, what I can do that your understand me....

First, where is my uploaded software tool from yesterday???? The link is missing!

Ok, I will upload my software tool on my private domain. I will offer these new link in a few days next week

(hope, my provider has no problems).

tommyp...

Yes, you can place my modifications in your HFSLIP....-CMD-script, when you like it. It's easy. My modified command-lines checking the availability for my tool "RewriteTime.exe" in folder "HFSLIP\HFTOOLS". When this file is missing - nothing happens - NO error appears. When you have problems - ask me.

IF EXIST HFTOOLS\RewriteTime.exe ( <--- see, IF EXIST.......

ECHO REWRITE FILETIME...

HFTOOLS\RewriteTime

REM USE PARAMETER /s FOR SILENT-MODE (NO GUI ON SCREEN) e.g. HFTOOLS\RewriteTime /s

)

When other users don't like my tool or not having it, then nothing happens - no problem!

During your slipstreaming-process MY modified commandlines writing a new file "NEWFILES.TXT" temporarely. This file is using later from my tool "RewriteTime.exe". It reads this TXT-file (with the filenames inside) and then writes my tool the timestamp back to the original timestamp. My tool reads the original-timestamp from the files in folder "WORK\I386E". When you "re-cab" or better compress the files with MAKECAB the files became a NEW timestamp - the momentary time (from this day), when you running slipstream! MAKECAB writes this NEW timestamp! You understand?

See...

IF NOT EXIST SOURCE\I386\%%I (

MAKECAB /D CompressionMemory=21 /D CompressionType=LZX WORK\I386E\%%I /L SOURCESS\I386

ECHO %%I>> HFTOOLS\NEWFILES.TXT <--- this is MY modification

)

and here...

IF NOT EXIST SOURCE\I386\%%I\%%J (

MAKECAB /D CompressionMemory=21 /D CompressionType=LZX WORK\I386E\%%I\%%J /L SOURCESS\I386\%%I

ECHO %%I\%%J>> HFTOOLS\NEWFILES.TXT <--- this is MY modification

)

After all files from the hotfixes are compressed, then starts my tool from YOUR script inside and writes the timestamp bak. Notthing else ist to do. You must change your call-routine ":INTEGRATE" with my modifications (see file "call_integrate" in my zip) and then put my file "RewriteTime.exe" in the folder "HFSLIP\HFTOOLS". That's all. :) Ask me, when you've problems.

-------------------------------------------

tomcat76.....

To the file attachment see above...

Tomcat, the files INSIDE an ISO keep their original modified-timestamp when you make an ISO.

My tool NOT writes the timestamp from the cab-files (e.g. DRIVER.CAB) bak!!!

Tomcat, I mean NOT the files inside this CAB-files. The timestamp INSIDE the CAB's remains constant (incorrect).

My tool corrects the timestamp from the hotfix-files itself. During slipstreaming-routine will ALL files from the hotfixes "re-cabbed" or better compressed (e.g. shell32.dll ---> shell32.dl_). ALL files, except such files that are uncompressed in original. You understand? Look self AFTER slipstreaming in the folder "HFSLIP\SOURCESS\I386". You'll see what I mean. Many files have a modified-timestamp from your slipstream-time.

AFTER installing windiz (from your slip-cd) look at folder "....\system32". You will see, that many files (the files from the hotfixes) have a NEW modified-timestamp - other as from msft's hotfix-creation-time. This timestamp is the timestamp from your slipstream-time! Ok, principelly is this NO problem for running windiz errorfree with this timestamp.

I sometimes help other peoples with MY slip-cd. Than, many weeks later, help other admins this peoples and they wonder about the curios modified-timestamp. For professionels is a modified timestamp often a first sign for viruses or other sh... Many (professional) software tools modifying the standard DLL's... For an profi is a correct modified-timestamp a better look :) .

------------------------------------------------

Crash&Burn....

See lines above....

You're right, my tool isn't for changing filestamps of files INSIDE cabs. The timestamp INSIDE CABs remains constant - but incorrect. This is no trouble whatsoever. It's a moot question whether, that windiz uses this CABs. I mean other files!! I mean the files from hotfixes. Read above please.

-----------------------------------------------

Ok, the link to my tool is missing. My email is: bernd@kolbenstetter.de

Please send me a mail and I send the tool.

Best regards,

Willi.

RewriteTime.zip