upgrade

arrynev

I've swapped out a P3 mobo, with a AMD mobo and XP didn't have a problem with it. But then I've also had some that wouldn't even boot when doing a AMD to AMD swap.

Backup all your data before the swap, just in case. Also, backup the registry. If you have a spare HD that you can ghost your system too, that's the best thing for backup.

Next, before you power down and swap parts, boot into safe mode, go into the registry and delete the [HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum] entry. Shut down and swap the hardware. When you boot up to the new hardware, Windows will do a hardware search for all the new hardware installed. You may have to reboot several times and load drivers inbetween reboots. This *should* work in most cases. It has for all the times I've done it.

I have a ghost copy, but if the new system cannot place the ghost on, then what next?

Goin' to bed now, if I don't post again, I'm dead or the b*****d computer is dead.

Thanxs.

Ghosting to the Spare drive is so that you don't lose any of your data (If it's that important to you.) I mainly keep all important data on other drives so If I need to wipe the drive, I can and not fear of losing any data.

Since it's been awhile since I posted, was it a sucess?

Windows XP can boot on other model but it's lucky ... if windows can't boot for you, you can resinstall windows without losing any documents/programs/settings ... (fr: Au premier menu d'installation (boot avec cd) tu choisit Installer Windows et au second menu tu choisit Réparer, et tu retrouve tout, faudra juste repatcher windows car tous les fichiers systèmes sont restaurés ...)

++

Edited by sonic

I've swapped out a P3 mobo, with a AMD mobo and XP didn't have a problem with it. But then I've also had some that wouldn't even boot when doing a AMD to AMD swap.

Backup all your data before the swap, just in case. Also, backup the registry. If you have a spare HD that you can ghost your system too, that's the best thing for backup.

Next, before you power down and swap parts, boot into safe mode, go into the registry and delete the [HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum] entry. Shut down and swap the hardware. When you boot up to the new hardware, Windows will do a hardware search for all the new hardware installed. You may have to reboot several times and load drivers inbetween reboots. This *should* work in most cases. It has for all the times I've done it.

if you are going to try it the hard way, you'll also want to remove any mobo drivers 1st, then do the reg key to pull anything left...