minlogon

shix

i've read about minlogon. on the mp3car forums and here at msfn.

last time i used minlogon, things didn't work out right. my desktop settings weren't save everytime.

but im about to try it about again i guess.

but i don't know the safe procedure to do it.

all i know is...

1. download the latest minlogon @ http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.asp...&displaylang=en

2. place minlogon in the system32 directory

3. apply minlogon.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"Config"=dword:00000017

that's all i know.

i've read the guide about installing minlogon. but im confused about EWF. EWF is the part where i don't know what to do after i rebooted and then using minlogon.

http://mason.gmu.edu/~sfiorito/eXPinstall.htm < EWF is the part where im confused. should i run EWF? plus it says that i should disable the pagefile. won't that effect memory usage?

kinda need some help... hehe :thumbup

also for those familiar with qdogg's microwinx project. i didn't see any EWF in the process of using minlogon.

ahh ok. im glad EWF has nothing to do with minlogon. because it's included in some forum guides that includes installing minlogon on an xp machine.

anyways i tried minlogon again. i runned the minlogon.reg. then copied minlogon via the system32 dir in win xp's recovery console.

i also backed up my Winlogon registry entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE thread. so if anything goes wrong, i can always roll back to the old settings and use winlogon.

the problem is that when i use minlogon. it doesn't load my current profile. it always load the 'default user' profile. i would like it to use my current profile that im using with winlogon.

help is appreciated big time! hehe :)

ahh ok. im glad EWF has nothing to do with minlogon. because it's included in some forum guides that includes installing minlogon on an xp machine.

anyways i tried minlogon again. i runned the minlogon.reg. then copied minlogon via the system32 dir in win xp's recovery console.

i also backed up my Winlogon registry entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE thread. so if anything goes wrong, i can always roll back to the old settings and use winlogon.

the problem is that when i use minlogon. it doesn't load my current profile. it always load the 'default user' profile. i would like it to use my current profile that im using with winlogon.

help is appreciated big time! hehe :)

Have you tried copying your profile to the default profile folder?

well i did my research about minlogon in the nlite forum.

the problem with minlogon that i found out is that it can't save user profiles like desktop settings.

i only thing i wanna find out is that a registry entry that will tell minlogon which desktop profile to use.

if such thing exists, then i hope it saves profile settings when it's being used.

minlogon simply doesn't save the settings. this limitation is discussed in the Windows XP Embedded documentation.

I was considering coming up with a better alternative at one point but I abandoned the idea due to time constraints and the sheer ugliness of this part of the win32 API. <puke/>