"Lock the Taskbar" in 'normal' 98SE ?

miko

i was Google-fu ing around looking for old interesting registry tweaks and came across this link

Link

(btw this option is present when using Tihiy's Windows 98 Revolutions Pack Lite)

notice several of the posters say that they have the option on their windows 98 install already,

now i've tried the registry tweak and it doesn't work (for me)

anyone have an explanation (or aware of the qualifications for this menu item to show up)

i think the ones who have it might be running the Active Desktop but thats just a guess . . .

thoughts ?

Edited by miko

The only "lockdown" in 98SE that I recall was regarding Icons on the Desktop...has been a few months, but I don't remember ever having a taskbar lock in regular 98SE. Theres more than likely a way to do so...but would require an active/background process, might be a nice option though. I know it takes quite some time to get it back to "normal" after accidentally moving a piece of the taskbar or the whole thing.

it might make the grippers disappear (like on the explorers toolbars) which is one of the reason i was looking for a tweak.

i like looking for obscure interesting registry tweaks, and i'm convinced there are maybe one or two things with might work in XP and 98se if you can 'fill in the gaps in the registry' and turn them on (think of the number of XP files in 98se now) not big things but maybe just a few interesting tweaks (like i said) and/or enchancements.

for instance i was going to try adding a custom webview for th 'My Pictures' on 98se at some point. if the XP has a clsid it could be created as a system folder etc i'm not great at HTML and that but i've done ok so far with stuff like that. the details of the different ActiveX controls in 98se are obscure now and the kodak imaging might be able to be used either that or just the image manipulated in HTML and javascript (stretch, next file etc on/off with a 3/4 window preview or something) just simple stuff. anyway i ramble, just dumb ideas to keep me busy.

anyway i've been unable to find out if 'My Pictures' has a clsid (which ideally is the way i'd like to approach it) so its on hold (dumb idea probably)

Edited by miko

it might make the grippers disappear (like on the explorers toolbars) which is one of the reason i was looking for a tweak.

no. There is a registry tweak which is present in ME explorer, but it may not work in 98 explorer.

Grippers won't dissappear - it is implemented completely in RP.