Games On Windows Server 2003

Since FthrJACK hasn't put it in the guides section yet, here is a guide on how to install Solitaire, Freecell, Spider Solitaire, Hearts, Pinball, the Internet Games, and Minesweeper on Windows Server 2003:

--

For all of you out there who want to know how to install games like Solitaire and Minesweeper on Windows Server 2003, here’s how to do it:

What we need:

The attached .zip file (PM me for the file, I have a bandwidth limit! :) )

Windows Server 2003 CD

Windows XP Professional CD

Before we do this, copy all the .inf files from the .zip file to your INF directory. For me, it is the C:\WINDOWS\inf directory.

Then copy the .dll files from the .zip file to the setup directory. For me, it is the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Setup directory.

Now we’re all setup.

Next, what we need to do is pop-up the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog (if you don’t know how to do this, go to My Computer and click on Add/Remove Programs on the left hand menu and then click on Add/Remove Windows Components). Now, double-click on Accessories, then double-click on Games and uncheck the ones you don’t want. Now press OK>OK>Next >. It will now ask you to insert your Windows Server 2003 CD…Put in the path that refers to your I386 folder. My directory was D:\I386. Press OK. Now it will ask you for another CD which will be called (Unknown). Put in your Windows XP Pro. CD and put in the path that refers to its I386 folder. Mine was D:\I386. It should continue to setup and the games should appear under your Start Menu under Programs. :rolleyes:

Note: I have only tested this method under the Enterprise Edition and works fine…I am not responsible for what may happen to your computer if anything goes wrong!

Good luck!

(And everyone thought you couldn't play games on a server, pfffff....)

lol i can't believe u dudes didn't know this.. though it ain't recommended for Unreal 2k3 and other games like this etc:P it gets chunky with all the background server services and programs..

Why would anyone want Solitaire, an e-mail client, and an instant messaging client on a server operating system? That's what the machine on the desk in front of you is for, isn't it? (which, being a desktop workstation, is presumably running a workstation operating system). I'm puzzled by this.

lol i can't believe u dudes didn't know this.. though it ain't recommended for Unreal 2k3 and other games like this etc:P it gets chunky with all the background server services and programs..

Doggie, you can just make Win2K3 act as a workstation by disabling the right services...Then it runs fine! :)

• 11 years later...

No. You'll (MAY) need a Vista Emulation Plug-In. However, I -did- find this.

http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7750#p7750

Note that you WILL need a Vista CD to get the actual games.

Use at your own risk! The Topic Link I gave is NOT related to MSFN and you'll receive no support from us.

HTH

BTW, this is for getting XP Games onto Server2K3 of which they are BaseCode-Related and will NOT work on Win2K8 (AFAIK) since it is NOT BasedCode-Related (rather related to Vista). Also note there's no attachment. THIS is for Win2K3 -

http://win2k3.msfn.org/

edit - I found this for XP Games->Windows7 so it MAY work. AGAIN, use at your own risk!

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/replace-terrible-windows-7-games-classic-xp/

Edited by submix8c

• 8 years later...