GuiRunOnce %CDROM$ problem

If you are worried about installing WinXP with SATA drives, you should be...but it's not really all that hard in the end. If done properly, the install will be the same if you installed it on IDE or SATA drive. The only difference would be the built-in, semi-transparent support for SATA drivers. I have a mixture of Dell's, half IDE the other SATA, and my UA works the same on both. And since I have no floppies in most of them, I have to use this method.

I never use nLite...I like to get more hands on. Check this out:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=36194

The first section has a bunch of useful links if you want to do it yourself. It's not that bad, but it's real easy to get it wrong. A lot of text editing...good luck!

The %CDROM% variable is user-defined, not permanent. Your fixation with SATA drives being a problem is not relevant. You can use all the methods described in this forum to load drivers and programs, using the $OEM$ maps. Free your mind and your a** will follow.

He doesn't want to listen to what anyone has to say. Unless its holding his hand and writing a batch file for him.

The %CDROM% variable is user-defined, not permanent. Your fixation with SATA drives being a problem is not relevant. You can use all the methods described in this forum to load drivers and programs, using the $OEM$ maps. Free your mind and your a** will follow.

He doesn't want to listen to what anyone has to say. Unless its holding his hand and writing a batch file for him.

I want to listen to you all, but the way i do is the best I think... I know that my problem can be fixes on your way with the $OEM maps.. I have make more cd's with to $OEM maps but now I want to do it without the $OEM maps... Because this way is shorter... I got one error that I have showing you in the beginning of the topic. If that error not comes i'll be happy

Asin, good point! (cdrom set is only temp.)

I'll give it a try! (batch to set variable on startup)

However, if correct, why does guide(s) say to add CDROM variable set to runonceex.cmd???

...wouldn't be first bad info I've come across!

thx!!

Edited by thuun derboy

oh yah!!!

hot ****!

WORKS!!!

Asin...you da man!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OOPS!

retract!!

nope. on further investigation I foud the CDROM variable does not need to re-set on next logon.

The problem was quite simple...

had been using:

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.TXT SET CDROM=%%i:

which had my system looking for 'CD.TXT' which didn't exist...

so, changed to:

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\boot.bin SET CDROM=%%i:

Now once 'boot.bin' is found on the XP CDROM, or DVD in my case, everything is cool.

DUH! (of course this makes Asin no less a 'man' or anything) thanks much anyhow!

Although this line of code to find CDROM is shorter than the one in the unattended guide, reading it again helped as I hadn't looked quite close enough, failing to see the obvious.

Surely others may have done the same and given up...perhaps I'll drop a threat with a SIMPLE apps from CD blueprint using cmdlines and runonceEX.

Edited by thuun derboy

Lucky guess really.

But now that I think about it more, although RunOnceEx runs during the T-12 time, all it's essentially doing is adding registry entries to be run on the next login. If you have a command in [GuiRunOnce] to set the %CDROM% variable again, then it should run concurrently with the registry entries. It's a good thing that it finishes before the RunOnceEx stuff does.

Otherwise if it's in your RunOnceEx entries, even better.

hey! pls. see above!!

as for adding apps without $OEM$s...

there's away which uses SVCPACK folder residing inside I386, do a search for servicepack or svcpack.

HFSLIP uses this folder to add apps. and slipstream hotfixes.

I've tested it and had issues, however, it's worth a look.

Works good w/W2K though.

I dont understand youre last topics. WHERE do you have to set the varible %CDROM% on? And in witch rule? If you put that rule with CD.TXT in winnt.sif, the setup cant go on.... Can you be clear ?

I am not a prof in a unatended install :blushing: