GuiRunOnce %CDROM$ problem

You can at least add a sentence to that post.

Although I've used the %CDROM% environment variable myself before for batch files for upgrade CDs that include SP2 and post-SP2 updates without complaints, from what I've seen on this forum, it's not a real environment variable that works in XP without setting it up. The problem might be the use of the %CDROM% environment variable.

What you could do is put your batch file in your $OEM$ folder which would then be copied to the hard drive. Then just change the command to use C:\ instead.

Otherwise, change your [GuiRunOnce] section to look like this and try again:

[GuiRunOnce]

Command0 = "%CDROM%\Install\RunOnceEx.bat"

Yeah, there is no default %CDROM% or %CD% variable that points to an optical drive. You can run a few lines of code to establish a variable...I never use it so I don't know it, but I know there was a similar post a while back that had the answer in it. You can search for it...

CDROM detect syntax is the 2nd line of my runonceex.cmd (attached),

BUT...

I'm having a problem AFTER establishing drive variable _pls. read on...

In $OEM$ folder (@T-12 stage of XP setup)...

I run a batch file via cmdlines.txt called apps1.cmd which sets system to find cdrom, then runs my silent installers (winrarSFX) from cdrom, no problem... At the end of the script, apps1.cmd runs runonceex.cmd which adds lines to registry to install 2nd batch of apps. after reboot.

system reboots, and at first logon RunOnceEX tells me it can't find my file(s). Works fine substituting %systemdrive% with setups moved to hard drive.

I've followed many examples to the letter starting with MSFN's guide, no dice. Tried batch file instead, nada.

I have TWO DVD drives installed...(detection/hardware issue?...or syntax??)

What works during T-12 & T-13 stage of setup (setups from CD), won't work for me after 1st logon.

For now, I'll copy setups to HDD from $OEM$\$1\Apps2, use, and del.

Some programs install better after first logon (some games, like TREADMARKS!! :thumbup ), some before (like Alcohol120%). Please see runonceex.txt if you think you can help. THANX! _tHuUn

runonceex.txt

Edited by thuun derboy

CDROM detect syntax is the 2nd line of my runonceex.cmd (attached),

BUT...

I'm having a problem AFTER establishing drive variable _pls. read on...

In $OEM$ folder (@T-12 stage of XP setup)...

I run a batch file via cmdlines.txt called apps1.cmd which sets system to find cdrom, then runs my silent installers (winrarSFX) from cdrom, no problem... At the end of the script, apps1.cmd runs runonceex.cmd which adds lines to registry to install 2nd batch of apps. after reboot.

system reboots, and at first logon RunOnceEX tells me it can't find my file(s) (same problem). Works fine substituting %systemdrive% with setups moved to hard drive.

I've followed many examples to the letter starting with MSFN's guide, no dice. Tried batch file instead, nada.

I have TWO DVD drives installed...(detection/hardware issue?...or syntax??)

What works during T-12 & T-13 stage of setup (setups from CD), won't work for me after 1st logon.

For now, I'll copy setups to HDD from $OEM$\$1\Apps2, use, and del.

Some programs install better after first logon (some games, like TREADMARKS!! :thumbup ), some before (like Alcohol120%). Please see runonceex.txt if you think you can help. THANX! _tHuUn

I dont use the way with tje $oem maps because you cant use it if you have a s-ata disk..

That's wy i have started this topic becouse i have al the programs on my cd in the install map.

You can at least add a sentence to that post.

Although I've used the %CDROM% environment variable myself before for batch files for upgrade CDs that include SP2 and post-SP2 updates without complaints, from what I've seen on this forum, it's not a real environment variable that works in XP without setting it up. The problem might be the use of the %CDROM% environment variable.

What you could do is put your batch file in your $OEM$ folder which would then be copied to the hard drive. Then just change the command to use C:\ instead.

Otherwise, change your [GuiRunOnce] section to look like this and try again:

[GuiRunOnce]

Command0 = "%CDROM%\Install\RunOnceEx.bat"

I will try the last way but I dont use the $OEM maps because it not works with s-ata disks

Do you have a other solution

you could do what works for me at T-12 stage

make $OEM$ folder and just add file cmdlines.txt, two lines:

[COMMANDS]

".\apps1.cmd"

(apps1 is your batch file IN THE SAME FOLDER)

see attached file...simple...works nice.

...add your own programs + switches...all my setups are prepared beforehand.

...remove guirunonce entry, cmdlines.txt is called on by setup at T-12 stage (same time)

apps1.txt

Edited by thuun derboy

Try renaming RunOnceEx.bat to RunOnceEx.cmd. I've read somewhere in MSFN that the file extension is important.

To try to debug why applications aren't being installed using the RunOnceEx method...after the installation fails, manually execute the RunOnceEx.cmd file again, then look at the RunOnceEx entries in the registry to see what actually was applied. This will reveal whether the %CDROM% substitution was done as you want it to be.

Once you've figured out what the trouble is, and made adjustments to the registry entries, you can re-test without re-installing by issuing:

rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

from the Command line. This will install your applications lodged in the RunOnceEx part of the registry.

If the %CDROM% environment variable needs to be set in order for it to work, doesn't it then make sense that it's only temporary and will probably no longer work after a restart?

Would it work if you add a batch file to the beginning of your list of things to do after the first login that sets the %CDROM% variable again?

you could do what works for me at T-12 stage

make $OEM$ folder and just add file cmdlines.txt, two lines:

[COMMANDS]

".\apps1.cmd"

(apps1 is your batch file IN THE SAME FOLDER)

see attached file...simple...works nice.

...add your own programs + switches...all my setups are prepared beforehand.

...remove guirunonce entry, cmdlines.txt is called on by setup at T-12 stage (same time)

I DONT use the $OEM maps... I install al the software direct from cd.. I DONT use the $OEM method because then you cannot install Win XP on a S-ATA disk

I know this because I have done some research on the forum

You certainly can, load XP on SATA drives. You just need to do oempreinstall to preload the drivers and:

1. Method by directly enhancement of the NVIDIA drivers (OemInfFiles-Method)

and

2. Method by suppression or removal of other interfering drivers (Driver-Suppression/Removal-Method)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...29entry356029

That's using NLite, and the example is the NVraid drivers, but all Nlite is doing is setting up OEMPreinstall for you. It will work w/ other MFG's drivers and it can still be done by hand, if one prefers.

You certainly can, load XP on SATA drives. You just need to do oempreinstall to preload the drivers and:

1. Method by directly enhancement of the NVIDIA drivers (OemInfFiles-Method)

and

2. Method by suppression or removal of other interfering drivers (Driver-Suppression/Removal-Method)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...29entry356029

That's using NLite, and the example is the NVraid drivers, but all Nlite is doing is setting up OEMPreinstall for you. It will work w/ other MFG's drivers and it can still be done by hand, if one prefers.

It must be a cd for all the computers.. Not only for a computer with nvdia or ati or something else. I dont install drivers with my cd. I only want during the first setup to launch a *.cmd file FROM THE CD and not from the harddisk because i dont use the $OEM maps

Well I suggest you read the sticky, in this very forum about "Sticky: A New Cd-switching Utility"

cuz from the looks of your so called .txt file, its going to fail if theres ever more than 2 partitions on a drive, or more than one harddrive.

Good luck.

The %CDROM% variable is user-defined, not permanent. Your fixation with SATA drives being a problem is not relevant. You can use all the methods described in this forum to load drivers and programs, using the $OEM$ maps. Free your mind and your a** will follow.