XP Pro as server

copley69

Yes, it is right...yes, there is a way around it, but it's illegal.

M$ limits the number of concurrent connections to 10 on all OS's...except their server class OS's. The idea is that if you have more than 10 people trying to share a printer or files, then you should be using their more expensive server class OS.

As I mentioned, you can have 20, 30, even 100 computers all mapped to a single winxp computer sharing a printer or files...and all will work until you hit that magic number 10. So if out of your 20 users only half are printing at any given time then you won't have a problem. If all 20 tried to print at the same time, then your 'server' would reject anything past 10.

As for the way around it...well, there have been posts here dealing with it, and there is a ton of links outside of the forum. As I understand it there is no real down-side to the hack, but just know M$ doesn't approve of it.

In fact, one of the two stickies in this forum discusses the way around this...I'll let you figure out which one :P

And just to back all that up:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314882

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/122920/EN-US/

Straight from the horses mouth...enjoy!

Edited by InTheWayBoy

InTheWayBoy is absoutely correct. 10 is the limit and yes things can be modified.. but yes this can be modified but is also in violation of EULA.

As for using this on a college campus.. sounds like a "business". Have them purchase a server OS for server functions and desktop OS for desktop functions so they stay out of licensing legal troubles.