New AGP card

kambui

just bought an new agp NVDIA Geforce fx 5200 sr 128 mb memory

is it ok for upcoming games i know its cheap but i could not afford the better ones

i would have bought Geforce 6200 256 mb its too heavy :no::unsure:

Depending on what games you play, that card may have serious problems running the more demanding games such as Call of Duty 2, F.E.A.R., Quake IV and Unreal Tournament 2007. The FX5200 is becoming a very outdated card, and it wasn't exactly very good when it first came out either. If you only play some mild older games like Sim City 3000/4 or something of that caliber, you'll be fine.

i do play unreal tournament 2004 mainly the sports series like fifa nhl madden till now these games runs can you tell me that will be ok if i stick to these games with my graphics card.

The best thing to do is try to run some of the new games yourself -- that is, get the demo of the current games. Obviously you can't get a demo of UT2007 yet, but try demos like Call of Duty 2 and F.E.A.R. Since you play UT2004, I'm pretty sure you're planning to play UT2007 as well. Sports games such as the recently released Madden 2006 is becoming very taxing on the video cards, so in all due honesty I can tell you the FX5200 will not have enough processing power to run any of the upcoming games, much less a game about 6 months to a year from now.

No offence but my card outperforms yours and mine is comeing up on the 3 year mark (time to through it out and replace it). I have a Ti4200 and it performs about as well as the 5600 (or in ATI terms, a bit better than the Radeon 9600 when AA and AF are NOT enabled). Basically you bought the bottom of the range of one of nVidias worst ranges of cards, actually probably nVidias very worst card ever. And you bought it 2 and a half years too late. I really don't want to sound offensive, but you were ripped off. The only thing that card could be an upgrade from is an MX400/MX440 otherwise it was a waste of money. Many onboard cards in older systems used a card that was comparable to the 5200, and if you have a newer system with on-board graphics then the on-board is better.

If I was on a budget I would either go with an old 9800 Pro or 6600GT.

5200's, 6200's and X300's are not meant for playing games. You can watch movies no problem and it will render windows XP special effects like transparency and the Blue Luna theme, but for the love of God/Budda/Muhhammed and even the the 6 armed Hindii chick, don't try to play games on that card.

Except solatair. Solatair will work, but I'll kill anyone who uses a computer for solatair. ==> Here's a deck of cards go sit in the corner.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this card without really looking into what it was, i just seen 128mb on the side and the price and thought that will do for me, its a ok card but i tryed to play Call of Duty 2 and i swear i heard laughing coming from my case :o

Anyway looking now at a upgrade so i can play FEAR and Veitcong 2, any suggestions guys?

Cheers

Phil

Anyway looking now at a upgrade so i can play FEAR and Veitcong 2, any suggestions guys?

Take it back for a refund or an exchange if its not too late. If it is too late, try dropping the resolution and detail levels down to try and attain playable frame rates.

Yeh, I completly agree with prathapml. But my guess is that you are running an AGP based system and that would require an upgrade of your motherboard and CPU too. So I suggest an AGP version of the 6800GT, they are very cheap for there performance, because no-one buys a new AGP card these days. Have a look they can normally be found at very reasonable prices considering how well they perform.