AGP 8x vs 4x

ThA_FiLeR

VID, MB must both support 8x. For the best usage the game must also support 8x.

And drew your right, I picked up that copy last night and read the artical your refering to. Funny 4x beat 8x.

Also I was impressd on all the benchmarks maximum PC did, I was very surprised at all of them

For the best usage the game must also support 8x.

thats like saying games need to suport a 266mhz fsb for it to make a difference.

all agp 8x does is provide a wider road that can handle more traffic.

its a pointless feature to upgrade a motherboard for at this time as no cards can really take advantage of the possible memory bandwidth it alows

For the best usage the game must also support 8x.

thats like saying games need to suport a 266mhz fsb for it to make a difference.

all agp 8x does is provide a wider road that can handle more traffic.

its a pointless feature to upgrade a motherboard for at this time as no cards can really take advantage of the possible memory bandwidth it alows

dude, really. Do your homework. It does matter on the game. And there are vid cards that are 8x. :)

dude, really. Do your homework. It does matter on the game. And there are vid cards that are 8x.

it does not matter on the game only how much memory bandwidth a card has.

i did not say there wasnt any agp8x cards i said it makes no difference to the cards performance wether its using 4x mode or 8x as either the card doesnt have enough bandwidth for agp x4 to be a bottleneck or the AGP interface is a bottleneck.

an old game like quake3 with 6xFSAA / 16x AF @ 1600x1200 probably uses as much memory bandwidth as unreal2 @ 1600x1200 does.

Quote from MaximumPC.....

Current 3D artwork- textures, character models, and environments - simply isnt complex enough to saturate the 4x bus. That said, we suspect that upcoming single player games such as doom 3 and maybe even Unreal 2 may demand AGP 8x bandwith. In short, AGP specs remain one generation step ahead of the world's fastest games.

So in other words if the game demands it then its used...meaning games dont support it.

BTW meant no insultment in any way. :)