Windows XP

tbresson

I was looking around for a Windows XP Pro for my new PC at home and I was checking out the prices and I fell upon an offer:

Buy Windows XP Pro OEM and get a free mouse.

And the price seemed reasonable so I checked it out.

To my surprice I found out that an OEM version means that you can only install it on one machine, and then the OS is bound to that PC. I called Microsoft and asked what happens if I buy a new CPU, ram, Graphics card, network card etc. will that affect "my PC" ? They told me when we say bound to the pc we mean the motherboard. If you get a new motherboard you will have to buy another copy of Windows XP. If you get a faulty motherboard, or if your motherboard gets an error and you'll receive a new board which is similar, you'll have to buy a new copy of Windows XP.

Also I was told that besides this you also have to activate your Windows XP after installing it. If you regularly reinstall your system you will eventually reach the (is it 5 or 10?) and you can't activate your Windows XP anymore, and you will have to pick up the phone and get in line with Microsoft and activate it by phone somehow by typing in the digits of your serial number.

So I asked, what do I do if I'm the kinda of guy who doesn't wanna be bothered with all these money-scheme-details, and Microsoft told me that I should buy an FFP version of Windows XP. And I asked, what's that?

Oh it's a version of Windows which you are allowed to reinstall as much as you want on whatever machine you want to as long as you only have the OS installed on one PC at a time. And I said, that seems like my kind of version; what's the price?

It's about the double the price of the OEM version.

So I asked; okay. Why is that? What's the difference, I mean on the actual CD, is something different, like Windows Media Player has been removed or ? No, it's the exact same, just more expensive and a different license.

Oh..... thanks for clearing the up, I guess.

So I ask myself; how come Microsoft has problems with piracy when you have to buy a new version of Windows each time you change your motherboard?

"I know you already bought your car, but you have to pay for it again because we changed your radio, see?" .. is that what we can expect from Microsoft when Windows Vista comes out? If so, I think I might just stick with Windows 2000 and a good firewall, Firefox & Thunderbird.

• 2 weeks later...
"I know you already bought your car, but you have to pay for it again because we changed your radio, see?" .. is that what we can expect from Microsoft when Windows Vista comes out?

Of course....did you really think it was going to be any different?

And some people actually wonder why so many folks are running "unofficial" versions of Windows xx and don't give a hoot about what brother Bill thinks.

I've already bought enough versions of MS/OS's to keep Bill in plaid shirts and sneakers for life, and put his kids through school. :realmad:

I won't sit here and advocate "piracy", (that's against all forum rules) but I will say that I do understand why it exists. And, BOY, does it ever exist!

Every one who regularly comes to this and many other forums knows darn'd well that there are many 'copies' of Windows XP running around out there in cyberspace that require NO registration or Activation. They've been "adjusted" for easy install, by anyone, anywhere, anytime on any PC.

We all know this. Yet so many of us dance around this topic like it was something "Holy". Ya'all come on.....lets be adult enough to admit that 'adjusted' software exists and is in popular use. To use it or not use it is as much of a personal choice as 'boxer' or 'brief'. Or none at all. :thumbup

Keep it Real, Boys and Girls,

Andromeda

I've been told by 'users' that have installed the "adjusted" versions of XP-Pro that they have none of the problems of the 'out of box' versions. And, of course, they can always reinstall it if they have a problem, without having to go through all the hassle of dealing with MS.

Personally, whenever I install a new PC with XP-Home, it takes me over an hour to get the computer running right. This is on 'name brand' PC's.

Just getting all the spyware off of the new PC can take a half hour.

I've seen them come out of the box with Backweb, WildTangent, WeatherBug, Wintools and what-have-you preinstalled at the factory.

Cheeeeesh!

:whistle:

I've been told by 'users' that have installed the "adjusted" versions of XP-Pro that they have none of the problems of the 'out of box' versions.  And, of course, they can always reinstall it if they have a problem, without having to go through all the hassle of dealing with MS.

Personally, whenever I install a new PC with XP-Home, it takes me over an hour to get the computer running right.  This is on 'name brand' PC's.

Just getting all the spyware off of the new PC can take a half hour.

I've seen them come out of the box with Backweb, WildTangent, WeatherBug, Wintools and what-have-you preinstalled at the factory.

Cheeeeesh!

:whistle:

:blink::blink: You're kidding????? They come with spyware out of the box??

But those "brand named" computers, don't they bring a XP OS CD with it? Or do they only come with a system restore CD even though you paid for the OS?

vando,

that's the trick....you don't really Buy the OS.

What you buy is a packaged system with an OEM version of the OS already installed on it. Along with an assortment of spyware, and endless trial versions of this and that.

Sometimes you get a restore CD with the system and sometimes you have to make your own from files stored on a D: partition on the HD.

If you ever have to use the restore CD, you get back all the junk software that came on the system when it was new.

I was installing a Gateway laptop for one of my lady customers one day, and I was doing her restore CD's for her. There was going to be four CD's to do the job.

Well, about half way through disk 3, the system died. It never booted up again.

She had to take it back to the store and exchange it for a new one. I had worked for almost an hour getting all the junk software off of the PC.

That's the computer business in the US. :whistle:

Cheers,

Andromeda43

Below are the CD labels:

FPP is actually for retail version.

English Windows XP Professional (SP2) Retail  VRMPFPP_EN

English Windows XP Home (SP2) Retail   VRMHFPP_EN

English Windows XP Professional (SP2) Upgrade  VRMPCCP_EN

English Windows XP Home (SP2) Upgrade   VRMHCCP_EN

English Windows XP Professional (SP2) OEM   VRMPOEM_EN

English Windows XP Home (SP2) OEM   VRMHOEM_EN

English Windows XP Professional (SP2) Corporate VRMPVOL_EN

English Windows XP Home (SP2) Volume   VRMHVOL_EN

English Windows XP Professional (SP2) MSDN  VRMPFPP_EN

Pawan :thumbup

Edited by pawan

that's an oxymoron.....moron!

Home means a stripped down and crippled version of XP for HOME use only.

Corporate means an Advanced version.....

the two are opposites!  Comprende?

Actullay it is a volume licensed version i.e. it doesn't required activation. And it exists.

Pawan

Edited by pawan