iTunes 4.9.0.17 silent with no quicktime

seapagan

[ Updated : I have written out the procedure to create this installer - find it [ Here ]. If there are any errors or unclear parts please let me know. I also include a link to the latest (Windows 2003 Platform SDK) versions of Orca and other tools you will need. ]

There have been some requests previously for a version of iTunes that does not include quicktime - some people (myself included) prefer the 'Quicktime Alternative' and dont like being forced to install the official bloated version. To redress this, I have 'modified' the original installer and msi to remove QT.

Here is a silent version of the latest iTunes software, which does not contain nor will try to install QT. It is also preconfigured to install desktop shortcuts, and does not make iTunes or QT the default media players.

Remember that you must install some version of QuickTime (the official or alternative) before running iTunes. It will install without QT but not run

Download : iTunesInstaller.v4.9.0.17.exe (6354592 Bytes)

If you wish to make your own silent versions, the rar file below contains the modified setup files, which run as a usual install does, except the lack of QT:

Download : iTunes Setup files (6028771 Bytes)

Alternative : iTunes Setup Files (6028771 Bytes) - Non Rapidshare.

Both are the same files, a modified version of the original installer package, so they support uninstall, repair etc. It will also properly install the ipod drivers and CD drivers. It is also some 15 Meg smaller! Tested on a clean machine that has never had iTunes or QT installed, and worked perfectly.

If anyone finds any problems or bugs, please let me know!

[ Edit : Added a mirror, and changed the rar version of the setup files to make it more obvious that QT is not included. If you have already downloaded, you do not need to redownload, it is only cosmetic ;) ]

SP.

Edited by seapagan

Is this multilingual?

Sorry, should have specified that - this is the standard english install, all I have done is removed QT and tweaked the msi a bit. What language do you need? - I could knock one up quickly enough in any language.

Gimme a few days to relax from work, and I'll write up the procedure to modify it, and post.

SP

The iTunes setup files rar seems to be corrupt, Can you confirm ?

Hmm. Well the original rar file is ok, and I cant get in to download the one from rapidshare cos apparently too many users are downloading. I'll check it when I can and let you know.

Anyone else who has downloaded the rar version have it corrupt?

Edit : is the file size definately the same as noted in my original post?

SP

Edited by seapagan

Edit : is the file size definately the same as noted in my original post?

Nope, The size of the iTunes.rar i downloaded is:

2.75 MB (2,891,776 bytes)

Somethings wrong somewhere, I,ll try and grab it agaun when rapidshare decides to let me!

And see if that helps

Edited by ironside

any chance of a QT-only installer? i know some of us don't use iTunes. Many thanks.

Well, just download QT from the apple site here ;). I think there is a list of switches in this forum for a silent install too.

On the other hand, you may want to go for the 'Quicktime Alternative' package. This is a third-party version, using the official QT codecs. You can find this here. If you run this with the command line '-MakeUnattended' it will start a wizard to make a silent version you can add to your CD. I prefer the alternative package personally, it seems a bit less obtrusive and resource heavy - the latest version is very good.

[ Edit : I did not realise that it is impossible to get the latest version of QT without downloading iTunes also ... if anyone wants it, I can upload the QT 6.5.2.10 version taken from the itunes msi? It's about 12 meg, and already a silent install. ]

SP

Edited by seapagan

Yeah that's why i wanted to see if there's a separate QT installer package and not iTunes all in one dealie. however the QT alternative is looking tempting, i always hated having another player open up when i only really use WMP and WMPClassic more often.

on a related note, does anyone know where the reg settings are for QT? i'd like to be able to make a reg file and execute it in the runonceex for registering/activating etc. Thanks

you can get seperate...just select that you have win98 and itll download qt without itunes...though if youre gonna hhave both, the itunes installer is the best bet because using the itunes only setup and qt only, youll get a size of around 28mb. I made my own autoit for itunes+quicktime and it works perfectly...get both itunes and qt, and size is only 21mb

@evilvoice :

Agreed, there is no point in using the iTunes-only with a seperate QT, just use the standard iTunes. However, if you use my itunes-only install, and the QT alternative (as this package was designed for), its only 15Meg ;)

What size is the win 98 version of QT? The 'XP' ver from itunes is only 12 Meg.

SP