access denied/corrupt files because of...

gui_m

Hello! I had some pictures in a folder which wanted to keep private. To prevent other people from accessing them i disabled "Use simple file-sharing" and under the Security tab I added two user names: 'Everyone' and 'Gui' (the account only I have access to). To 'Everyone', I set it to Deny everything (read, modify etc) and to 'Gui' I set it to full control. This worked great for ages.

I now reinstalled windows and created a user called 'Gui' (same password as well) and Windows still allows me to open this protected folder with pictures. However, I am unable to open any of these files. They have no thumbnails, and the files will not open with any program (paint, photoshop, windows picture viewer etc.).

I noticed that the folder was set to 'read only' and when I try to set it to normal I get an error saying access denied to all the picture files.

Any thoughts on how to recover these pictures?

Hello GUI_M, i recently had the same problem and sorted it out myself, my whole HardDisk wasnt accessible to me.

Here's the Solution.

Do the following steps, as this is the only solution as far as i am concerned and it worked 100%.

Here we go:--

1) Select all the files.

2) Right Click > Properties > Security

3)There will be an Advanced Tab at the bottom right corner, click on that.

4)A window will pop up. Go to its Owner tab. Click on your user name and Apply.

5)Go to the next tab Effective Permissions. Click Select. A new window will popup, on its left bottom corner, click on Advance. Then the window will change, click on Find Now

It will display all the usernames that you have on the PC, select the one you are after (Gui) and click Ok and Ok once more.

6)It will take you to the first window. Click Ok to close everything.

7)Select all the files yet again and then Properties and then Security.

8)Click on the Add Button. Then on the Advanced on the bottom left corner.

9)Click Find Now. Select your User Name and click Ok and Ok once again

10)It will take you to the main Security window, Click on the Full Control CheckBox and apply.

You have the access now, if The files are not infected or corrupt.

If this doesnt work, then you'll have to select all the files individually and do the same procedure again and again.

This will work, 100%

Best of Luck and give credit where it's Due always.

The Rock.

thanks, fixed the problem :) my problem was that I was getting permission for the folder but not the individual files... gained ownership of the files and now it works great. Thanks rock.

Ok, Here's what The Rock forgot.

On step 4. Before you click apply click on the check box that says "Replace Owner on Subcontainers and objects.

Then on step 5 Before you click apply and ok goto the permissions tab.

Make sure these two check boxes are checked.

1) Inherit from partent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here

AND

2) Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries show here that apply to child objects.

Now click on your user name in the panel above and then click apply. Let the permissions set and the continue on with his steps and you should be just fine.

Question:

Also were the files encrypted from the previous user name or just PRIVATE?

Hope this helps. :hello:

Edited by Hatefulsorrow