New Msn7.5 Only support WINXP

suta

It can probably be done, but you need to theoretically...

1. Reboot in XP and install MSN WM 7.5.

2. Reboot in 98/98SE/ME and install MSN WM 7.0.

3. Compare files from 7.5 with 7.0.

4. Copy over newer files from 7.5 onto 7.0 folders.

5. Test to see if it works.

Make sure you backup replaced files in case newer ones don't work.

MSN WM download links:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#WM

I'm not going to create scripts for an automated install, because I don't use [MSN] Messenger, and don't have enough time for testing.

But if you or anybody else like to do this, please post scripts/results here, so we can all benefit.

Thanks.

Hope this helps.

It seems that MSN 7.5 uses kernel functions only avaliable on more recent operational systems, so Win 95/98 are out of question. I was able to install it on Win2k (not the download mess.be because I wanted to have MSN 7.5 in brazilian portuguese) by downloading part of the Win 2k3 Plataform Resource Kit, then installing Orca MSI editor and changing every XP check... Maybe someone could do this and try to allow it to install on ME

How to bypass:

to make it install on 2k using Orca msi editor I replaced every check (3 or 4, if I remember well) VersionNT whatever math operation 501 with VersionNT whatever math operation 500.

After all the VersionNT check there is a (Version9x) no signal nor any compare, because Version9x itself is a fake condition if running a NT based system.

To make it bypass the OS detection simply erase the two checks (VersionNT and Version9x) every time they appear. Doing this it won't complain even when installing it on Win95 (which does not mean it will work)

Every heard of GAIM? That's what I've been using for the past few weeks and I must say it works pretty well. It replaces AIM, MSN, Yahoo, IRC and a few more things I can't remember. I think it runs better on 98 because instead of having multiple IM programs running in the background consuming resources, there's only 1 program running that doesn't consume that many resoureces. Just a thought... it's kind of like the Mozilla (replacement for IE) of instant messeging programs.

Every heard of GAIM? That's what I've been using for the past few weeks and I must say it works pretty well.  It replaces AIM, MSN, Yahoo, IRC and a few more things I can't remember.  I think it runs better on 98 because instead of having multiple IM programs running in the background consuming resources, there's only 1 program running that doesn't consume that many resoureces.  Just a thought... it's kind of like the Mozilla (replacement for IE) of instant messeging programs.

Unfortunately none of the multi-client apps seem to support webcams or

file transfers...they always seeem to crap out when trying to do a transfer

in gAIM at least, and while I know there's a project to make gAIM have the

ability to use webcams its not there yet (especially for those of us in Win32)

I recently had to give up and let mys suster switch from gAIM to MSN IM

and Yahoo IM when she got her webcam.

--iWindoze

Well, gAIM may not be the best thing in the world for all the special features of the instant messeging programs, but, meh, it works for me anyway.

No, No...reread my post I was using gAIM...its my sister who

insisted on moving back to using MSN and Yahoo because she

had the webcam...I'm still hoping the gAIM vv (or whatever the

video project is called) takes off but until it does...

I'm stuck on my parent's machine.

--iWindoze

PS: I give 'em about two years before its ready to be folded back

into the project again.

No, No...reread my post I was using gAIM...its my sister who

insisted on moving back to using MSN and Yahoo because she

had the webcam...I'm still hoping the gAIM vv (or whatever the

video project is called) takes off but until it does...

Oh. Gotcha

Well, I guess I'm not really into multimedia webcams and all that crap, so gAIM works perfectly for me; much better than AIM anyway. Although I haven't tried file transfers though. Most file transfers over AIM seem to fail for me anyway, so I don't really care about file sharing on AIM all that much.