integrate vs manual svcpack.inf

Yes but why still use qchain?
qchain.exe is dropped in SVCPACK and added to the end of the [setupHotfixesToRun] section of svcpack.inf, as we know. As my KBxxxxxx.exe additions to SVCPACK grow in the post-integrate phase, I want qchain.exe to chain them together correctly.

In fact, I'm using a third method to apply all of the hotfixes without the need to burn new discs, bypassing SVCPACK altogether: a simple batch file (incorporating qchain.exe) run after the user logs on and hits the Desktop, initiated by an AutoIt script placed in the All Users Startup directory. The script maps a network drive and taps an include file on the network share, allowing me to simply modify the include file and add the hotfixes to the share. Easy maintenance, and I don't believe security is compromised if KB890830 is not installed from the get-go. :P This is one case where size does not matter, although install time is impacted. Negligibly.

Thanks but what I was trying to hint at was, all XP post-SP2 hotfixes have qchain functionality built-in. I don't know about 2000/2003.

I agree that putting the hotfixes separately on a network share or 2nd CD would be a smart move.

I agree that putting the hotfixes separately on a network share or 2nd CD would be a smart move.

True. I use Rvm Update Pack. When a new pack comes out, I'm not bothered to rebuild my ua disc. Not even my apps are on the cd! On my 1Gb usb, there is a folder called XPUPDATE. From svcpack, I launch a cmd file

FOR %%u IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%u\UPDATEXP\KB888111.EXE SET A=%%u\UPDATEXP&cd %A%
FOR %%k IN (*.exe) DO "%%k" /Q /O /N /Z
cd .\IEXPRESS
FOR %%i IN (*.exe) DO "%%i" /Q:A /R:N

This way, I don't have to reburn my ua dvd when new hotfixes come out. I just drop them into my USB mem stick in a folder called UPDATEXP and the iexpress created hotfixes go in UPDATEXP\IEXPRESS

Very efficient, saves me a lot of time.

So... after this long explanation, that's why I use svcpack :P

Also, about apps, I put them in an APPS folder in my memstick and there's a similar batch file. They are grouped in installer type, e.g. %memstick%\APPS\Wise %memstick%\APPS\Inno %memstick%\MSI etc. So I do FOR IN commands to launch all exes from the specified folder w/the switch for the installer type.

Edited by T D

FOR %%k (*.exe) DO "%%k" /Q /O /N /Z

cd .\IEXPRESS

FOR %%i (*.exe) DO "%%i" /Q:A /R:N

Thanks for the info.

I don't quite understand this bit: the "IN" is not needed?

For myself, I have in mind running a 2nd CD or DVD from my 2nd DVD drive since I have two DVD drives.