synchronize time directly from a ntp server

Doc Symbiosis

I'm wondering, if it is possible with a PC running Windows XP to synchronize time from the internet, without having a personal server, which does this?

I've searched a long time and came to the conclusion, that only server versions of windows can do this. Is this really so?

Any help would be appreciated.

I've searched a long time and came to the conclusion, that only server versions of windows can do this. Is this really so?

No, it doesn't have to be windows. NTP is a RFC-standard so can be implemended in any platform.

When I use net time /setsntp:x.x.x.x and then run net timme /set, I always get the errror massage "Could not locate a time-server". I tried with different ntp-servers.

I don't want to use tclock, because I can't run from commandline and I only want to synchronize the time once, because later the most PCs are moved to domain.

Just have to do this once to connect to a networkshare through commandline to automatically install software and the connecting only is possible, when the time has less than five minutes difference to the server.

Can you not just use

net time \\computername /set /yes

where computername is the name of the computer carrying the installation software. All times will then match the machine with which they are communicating.