So, I have to learn about scripts. How to make/write them, how to make them work and how they'll (hopefully) work when they're done..

The thing is.. I just need something about scripts in general.. Like scripting written in notepad. I'm a total noob when it comes to this area, so any help will be grately accepted!! :D

So if you e.g. know of any basic scripting tutorials or stuff like that, could you post it here?

And, oh.. Sorry about posting this on the general board. I had no idea where it would fit.. :blushing:

With moderators closing threads, moving threads and threatening to ban users who post in the "incorrect" place,,,,,I'm afraid to post anything. So, I won't.

I have a half dozen topics that need discussion but in the current climate, I won't post anything.

It's time that the moderators realize that this is just a public forum and not an IRS audit.

Where the 'public' is involved, there is always SOME diss-co-ordination anyway.

Good Luck,

B)

PS: Are you talking about an Visual Basic Script?

Here's a very good example of one, to create a Restore Point.

It's name is SetRestorePoint.vbs

Set SRP=GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore")

CSRP=SRP.CreateRestorePoint("Hacked the registry", 0, 100)

I use this little script in my Startup folder, to force a restore point every time I boot up my system.

Hehe.. Lol, Andromeda43. :D I think I'll just have to risk it then..!

I'm thinking more in the lines of really, really basic log on scripts and things like that.. Scripts you might need in a normal network like a school or things like that.. If that made any sence.. :lol:

Gotcha!

Every one of us who really want to DO something with our PC's, can use a VBScript here or there.

I've been real lucky to meet several guys through the internet forums that are very accomplished in writing VBScripts.

A good place for you to start, would be to 'Google' for "VB Scripts".

There is a plethora of places on the net where people post their favorite little 'scripts'.

Who knows,,,,you may even find the very thing you're looking for. Or, find one that's close enough that you could modify.

At the very least, you'll find many good examples of HOW to write your own scripts.

Windows XP has the Visual Basic interpreter built in, so it can run any properly written VBScript that you may want to run.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

PS: If you find one to print $20 bills on a Color Inkjet printer, please let me know. :thumbup

With moderators closing threads, moving threads and threatening to ban users who post in the "incorrect" place,,,,,I'm afraid to post anything.  So, I won't.

Well maybe if people followed guidelines Mods/admins wouldn't have to be so hard on people.

An example is this topic. It has to do with scripting, so if you scrolled down the main index of the forums you would see:

The Developers Center

I that section you see:

Programming (C++, Delphi, VB, etc.)

Code snippets, tutorials, and help on implementing code

It would seem to me (maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it) that this topic would have been better placed in there.

Topic moved as suggested :)

And hey for the rest of you, you have no reason to fear! If you have any doubts that your topic is posted incorrectly, then just click the "Report Post" button, and send what you think. Then a mod will take care of it.

And no, we dont like to be hard on people, we just end up looking that way.... :(

If you have any doubts that your topic is posted incorrectly, then just click the "Report Post" button
Well that would have been a good idea, but I hadn't seen one of those buttons for months now…have they just re-appeared? are they only available in some forum groups? or have I just been blind?

<Edit>

I am starting to think I may have been slightly blind, since the option only appears to be visible once you are logged in…

Back to the subject, Free interactive Batch Course

<Edit>

Edited by Yzöwl

@Andromeda:

PS: If you find one to print $20 bills on a Color Inkjet printer, please let me know. thumbup.gif

I will do that. :lol:

And I'll look into the VBScripts.. :) Thanks.

@XPerties: Well, you see I know nothing about scripts and was thus not sure where to put it.. And since I have all faith in the mods, I didn't see the harm in posting it on the General Discussion board instead of placing it really wrong someplace else! :)

@prathapml: Thanks for moving it! :D

I am starting to think I may have been slightly blind, since the option only appears to be visible once you are logged in…

Take a bit of rest, relax some... :)

I remember having playfully asked about whether you ever sleep - Now I'm beginning to think you really don't sleep much!

@TiXer

You could check out command-line scripts (via batch-files) as well - for example:

http://www.madfisher.com/allison/scripts/tutorial.html

Simple Message Box In VBS, that ask if you want to open up

Hey Script Guys! web page. This is a good place to start to learn

about VBS scripts.

Dim Act, Gsm, UName

'''' Objects For The Script

Set Act = CreateObject("Wscript.shell")

UName = Act.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%UserName%")

'''' This Is Using A Popup Instead Of A Msgbox, The Popup, Has A Built In Timer Function

'''' The Time Out Is Set At 15 Seconds

Gsm = Act.Popup(Uname & ", Would You Like To Open," &_

vbCrLf & "Hey Scripts Guys Web Page?" & vbCrLf & "Press Yes To Open The Web Page" &_

vbCrLf & "No To Exit This Script" & vbCrLf & "If Nothing Is Selected Then" &_

vbCrLf & "Then The Defualt Time-Out Will" & vbCrLf & "Close This Script", 15,"Demo YesNo Time Out", 4 + 64)

'''' Below Here Is Where We Make The Selection

'''' 6 Is The Return Value For Yes

If Gsm = 6 Then

Act.Run("http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/hsgarch.mspx")

End If

'''' 7 Is The Return Value For No

If Gsm = 7 Then

Act.Popup UName & ", Has Selected To Exit The Script", 5,"Exit The Script", 0 + 32

End If

'''' -1 Is The Return Value For The Time Out

If Gsm = -1 Then

Act.Popup UName & ", The Defualt Time Out Occur" & vbCrLf & "Preparing To Exit", 5,"Exit The Script", 0 + 32

End If

Edited by gunsmokingman

VBscript is much easier than batch (BAT, DOS), but it's true that DOS is the must-known language for any self-respecting geek.

I almost completely learned VBS by googling stuffs like "open web page vbs vb script"... and I almost found how to's.

Autoit is also very good, but require installing programs, while VBS don't at least in modern windows versions. But autoIt is very similar to vbscript.

You can also use autoitX in vbs, if you feel need it.

http://visualbasicscript.com/