Phoenix Browser

FthrJACK

anyone else using this browser?

skins are cool, and i like how much smaller than IE it is, theres more page area. i also like the fact you can add folders and quick links to stuff in the top of the browser.

what i HATE is the nav bar doesent change to show the current page URL and back buttons doesent seem to work yet. maybe its just the build i got i dunno.

theres only 47 skins for it on the phoenix site, some are naff, some great, some buggy. but no guide on how to make your own.. wtf...

its faster than IE too... a lot faster.

just wondered if anyone had any ideas about my problems with it other than its a beta, maybe someone knows of a beter build or something... :)

bleh.. never mind about the browser bar and back button issues, its ok if you shut down the browser and open it again. its caused by installing a skin. and no i arent submitting a bug report as it must have been noticed already!

nice! how the frikkola did you make that installer thing? its like on the offical phoeinx site, dosent it need scripts or something?

im going to try some of your skins now, cheers lynch! know of any good guides on making skins?

**update, installed your safair skin, looks beter on your iMac screenshot as it goes more with the mac skin, still looks good on here too tho, i like it. Cheers lynch :)

Glad you like it - there are different versions (i'm sure you know) The screenshots are all WinXP - to get a better mac look, I use Iceman's Jaguar (msstyles) VS. http://www.jonmega.com/~iceman/vs/ -then using one of the "unskinned" Phoenix versions - the full skin versions (skinned toolbar and scrollbars) are primarily for OS other than XP or for those who chose to use windows "classic"

<script type="text/javascript">
function installTheme(where) {
var file = '';
if (where == 'local') {
file = 'file:///' + escape(document.getElementById('filename').value.replace(/\\/g,'/'));
} else {
file = document.getElementById('url').value;
}
InstallTrigger.installChrome(InstallTrigger.SKIN, file, getName(file));
}

etc........................

I love Phoenix too, but the only reason why it hasn't become my primary browser is cos Autoscroll isn't supported in it. (to demonstrate what I mean in IE6, enter a site with a long page, click your scrollwheel, not turn, and you'll see a graphic appear on your screen, then the mouse is moved up or down to scroll the page.)

Autoscroll is a favourite feature of mine, and so far IE6 and AvantBrowser (tabbed) supports it, but I think Avantbrowser has some sort of memory leak causing other programs to refuse to execute (getting faults, out of memory, etc) :)

post-19-1045822986_thumb.gif

The only reason I won't switch from IE is because I can't drag and drop my bookmarks. I like to have my bookmarks in a certain order, and I'm way to lazy to add them all over again. All other browsers I've tried like to put the bookmarks in alphabetical order :)

Phoenix automatically imports your IE bookmarks and you can drag and drop too, and even put them in folders on your browsers face, just under the forward, refresh buttons etc. you can stick single bookmarks there or folders of them. i have one for google and a folder with msfn front page and one for forums. :)

give it a shot u will be suprised, especially a skinning fanboy like yourself.

Never! :rolleyes:

that was just a piccy i did to get idea of how it would look on this skin. and not very good is how IMO.

oh well it will just have to stay the way it is.

expect death threats unless u hand over the skin :) .. anyways btp.. i'll be downloading it tommorrow.. :phone

Yes, there is autoscroll - Phoenix is light gecko browser - you custom build your browser's features by adding plug-ins. This is what is available to date:

* AdBlock

* Alternate Stylesheet Switcher

* Autohide Toolbox (True Fullscreen)

* Autoscroll

* Checky

* Compact Menu

* Digger

* Fullscreen Kiosk

* Googlebar

* Leech

* Linky

* Mouse Gestures

* Mouse Rocker Navigation

* Mycroft

* Nuke Image

* Popup ALT Attribute

* Preferences Toolbar

* Preferential

* QuickPrefs

* RadialContext

* Stylesheet Switcher

* Tabbed Browsing Extensions

* Tabbrowser Preferences

* Tab Downloader

* TabScroller

* TagZilla

* Text Links

* Themer

* Trivial

* User Agent Toolbar (uabar)

They are available here: http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html

I recommend, at least, Compact menu, tab extensions, and themer - tab extensions are nice - among many features you are able to auto-reload all tabs from 20sec - 600secs.

I have 10 tabs (forums I visit) open automatically when starting Phoenix