Newbie: how create the real DOS

DrHoang

Hi stasys44,

I didn't test SysXPfat or bootpart in C( NTFS) to create a MS-DOS for my XP.

If your C partition has formatted only in NTFS, I think you better reserved a small place in C formatted in FAT 16 reserved of rescue by XPE or DOS. That didn't cause any crash for your PC .

In the contrary, my C partition is already formatted in FAT 32( 9GB ) and worked well with SysXPfat.

But in case of failure with SysXPfat, you could also try that command line fixboot C: ( in Recovery Console, or choose to repair in XPCD install ) . You also reboot to XP easily with dual menu boot.

Dr Hoang

Edited by DrHoang

In the contrary, my C partition is already formatted in FAT 32( 9GB ) and worked well with SysXPfat.

Well, that could account for the bootpart.exe not working for you.

You could try again using the "LBA" switch, if I am not mistaken, the limit of CHS addressing is 8 Gb.

By the way, Gilles Vollant has released new version 2.60, with executables compiled for 64 bit processors and support for Vista new bootmanager (BootMGR instead of NTLDR):

http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

jaclaz

I have tested sysxpfat (and bootpart, when i could not get dual boot) in FAT 32 partition (8.057GB)

2. But the best way to have two partitions:

FAT32 for OS and Program Files

NTFS for data

Now my OS partition takes 8 GB

I can recover files in my corrupted partition - all files - by Easy Recovery, it's trully easy to understand and easy to work