Disk defragmenter and chkdsk /f?

iluvjacob

Everytime I try to run Disk Defrag I get this error:

"Disk Defragmenter has detect that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on volume: (C:). Please run Chkdsk /f."

First of all, I don't know how to run a Chkdsk /f. Secondly, each time I restart my computer, Chkdsk runs, but in read-only format. It runs until part 2 of 3 then states that there is a problem with /f and stops running. How do I change Chkdsk out of read-only mode? What do I do??!

:realmad::angry::( :angrym:

boot to the recovery console from your windows installation CD or boot into BartPE and run chkdsk

This is not working for you because the volume you are running chkdsk is the system volume and it needs to unmount it before it can fix the errors.. it cant unmount while it is running..

Chilifrei & Jasinwa,

I must be in the wrong forum because it seems like you're both speaking a completely different language than the one I speak. Jasinwa, what is a dos box? Chilifrie, what is a recovery console, a BartPE, and how do I unmount anything? The only two things I've ever unmounted in my life have been one very large horse that I, belatedly, realized I was deathly afraid of, and my husband, who isn't that scary . :rolleyes::w00t::zzz::P

Regardless, I need some advice in newbie language. Can you help in a step-by-step fashion? If not, where do I look?

Thanks!!

Hey, take it easy, you'll have to "learn" a bit to go on.

Press Start button

Select programs

Select Accessories

Select Dos Prompt (or Command Prompt, or something like that, I am not running XP so I don't remember the exact name)

A window with black background will pop up

(if you cannot find it, do the following):

Select Start button

Select Run

Type in the box "cmd" (without quotes) and press ENTER or click on button

The window will have a prompt (something like C:\> and a blinking cursor, possibly an underscore)

Click inside the window then type:

chkdsk /F

and press ENTER

If it does not solve proble, re-run it as

chkdsk /F /R

Note, the above will check the system partition, if you wish to run it on another drive you have to specify the letter for the drive, i.e.

chkdsk C: /F

chkdsk D: /F

etc. etc.

Have a look at these for reference:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Int...ompt-tut76.html

http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Let us know how it went.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz