Some cool tricks with 2003 server

MDVill

Im trying to get Windows XP to install remotely (RIS) from my server running 2003. When I run the PXE boot from the client, it runs fine until the windows setup stage. Then it tells me that it cant find the network driver??? Any ideas ??? :huh:

FYI. For future reference, I would start a new thread for new problems. But dont move it now otherwise you would be double posting.

get your network drivers and add them to your boot image on the RIS Server and drop them in the i386 folder and restart the RIS Services

you would be looking for 2 file types here.. .inf, .cat, (maybe .sys) are what makes up your driver.. after you restart the RIS Services it should create a .pnf file for your driver.. the inf is the information on the driver and the .cat is the security catalog that says weather or not it is signed by MS. The .pnf is preconfigured setup information which in the end is what you need for the screen you are getting stuck at to be there.

Just out of curiousity, what network card are you trying to use?

Edited by chilifrei64

@Chilifrei64

Ill give that a try... Thanks man

its an intel pro gigabit... I think. I just found it laying around and put it in, didnt really look though.

What do you mean by "restart the RIS services" ??? :blink:

Edited by cheezus420

have fun with the intel pro 1000. that is a peskey one. Depending on the exact NIC you have you may actually have to edit the inf file. If you do, intel has a pretty good knowledge base on this issue now.

As far as restarting the RIS Services you want to restart the Boot Information Negotiation Layer service

net stop binlsv

net start binlsv

when you do this, the RIS service creates the precompiles setup file for the drivers. If you DONT do this step.. you can add the drivers in any way you want but you will NOT get it to work.

@hoak

My computer has this thing... what do i need to do to stop this..

kinda hard to answer when you have no information regarding my problem

this was not a very specific post you did here. Start a new thread and post all the information regarding your problem. You are more likely to get a good response from a better question.

Okay....

How can you trick (hack or otherwise) XP home into joing a domain? Here's why I ask. First I purchased 13 dell optiplexes from ebay and all but one was wiped clean before I got them. The one that wasn't had 4 different domains it could login to according to the logon screen.

Now moving forward.... I picked up a maintenance account with our local county that doesn't have an IT professional. The Sheriffs office has about 25 PC's with you guessed it XP Home and a 2003 server. I think they tried to upgrade on a shoestring. The server is set up as a workgroup server. I'd like to promote it to a domain controller for obvious reasons. At this point, they don't have much more than a peer network.

I've scoured the internet looking for a way, but haven't found it yet.

I wiped the XP home PC clean, but am pretty certain that it had the same login screen as a domain logon. I used winternals ERD 2003 to access the hard drive and if I remember right the security I ran into led me to believe that it had been connected to a domain.

You talked a little bunk, so here's a chance to make good on it.

Thanks,

aj

Is there really a global point on this thread. We have 4 problems going on in this thread.

As far as joining the computers to the domain on WinXP Home.

NO, NO, NO, and NO

If you just picked up a maintenance contract and you would like to keep this contract. notify them that XP home does not work with the type of server system. In addition to this. Workgroups have a theoritical limit of 10 nodes. Modifying this is in violation of the EULA.

There ARE workaround to make authentication pass through( http://www.x-setup.net/ ) but as far as "JOINING" the domain... not gonna happen.

NOW.. you can modify the installation source and add this feature but once again this is in violation of the EULA.

If they tried to upgrade on a shoestring, have them do it again and purchase an upgrade to XP Pro. They will spend less money this way than they will to have you come in EVERY day to fix network access problems

I run an IT company myself and run into the same problems of XP home in an business enviroment. In the past I spent countless hours trying to get this stuff to work. I have lost both contracts becasue they didnt understand why this stuff didnt work. Now i tell my clients that this CANNOT BE DONE and strangely enough they are ok with it, as long as their system works.

NOW.. if anybody can read this .. it only makes good sense to post a problem of yours in its own thread. Otherwise the person who posted here before you is wondering what the heck i am talking about xp home for. not to mention new people to this thread have to read the first 2 pages of essentially non-sense only to get to the end and have a completely different questions asked therefore wasting their time reading the previous posts..

Edited by chilifrei64