Buying new RAM

CS_Ludacris

Well i dont know what RAM to buy(computer newb)

My RAM atm is 256 DVMT(Dynamically shared with Graphics) Yet i have bought a new graphics card and im not sure what to get, eg....DDR or other...

Please tell me...

Btw getting 512mb

Thnx

Edited by CS_Ludacris

Try running Sisoft Sandra and see what it shows. You need more information about the existing RAM you have to buy the right type with the same speed. What speed is your RAM running with? What Mobo do you have? Answer those two questions and I'm sure we'll be able to help you.

You can download SiSoft Sandra 2005 SR2a here:

Sandra Sisoft

Features:

Key Features:

New Connect Wizard: Allows connection to remote PCs, servers, Pocket PCs1, Smart Phones1 and databases6. Enterprise version can analyse remote computers without installation using "push" technology.

New Environment Monitor Wizard: Allows monitoring of a computers's environment5 (temperatures, fan speeds, voltages, CPU power and cooling system thermal resistance)

New Key Applications List: Lists the key applications registered on the computer (Address Book, Anti-Virus, Calendar/Organiser, E-mail client, Firewall, Instant Messaging, Internet Call, Java Virtual Machine, Media Player, News Reader, Web Browser).

New On-Disk Programs & Libraries List: Complete list of all programs and libraries on the computer, whether registered or not.

New Installed Web Packages List: Shows ActiveX components and Java classes installed.

New Start Menu Applications List: Compiles list of all applications registered on the computer's Start Menu.

Enhanced Winsock & Security Information: Provides information on installed software firewalls and network adapters.

Single multi-platform installer: Contains 3 native ports for each Windows platform (Win32 x86, Win64 x642, Win64 IA643) as well as native remote analysis service for Windows CE platform (ARM Pocket PC, ARM Smart Phone, x86 Standard) all-in-one.

Multi-Core Support: As well as SMP (multi-processor) and SMT (multi-threading/Hyper-Threading) support we have added multi-core support for future AMD and Intel CPUs. The benchmarks have been optimised to schedule the optimum number of threads on the optimum (virtual) CPU on both multi-core and Hyper-Threaded computers.

Native Unicode Product: The client, service, libraries and device driver are all native Windows Unicode products designed for Windows 2000, XP and 2003.

Signed Product & Installer: The client, service, libraries, device driver and installer are all signed with our digital certificate for your protection. Please DO NOT install and run any programs that appear to be made by SiSoftware but are not signed with the SiSoftware LTD digital certificate!

Then after ive downloaded it i do what?

Is this what you wanted to know?

system9rf.png

Btw i no longer have that old graphics card an have replaced it with a radeon 9250...which is what was shared

So there ya go...now help me please...

So what type of ram should i get?

Edited by CS_Ludacris

You got dual RAMs or just one?

If you have dual then it means that your RAMs are running with 400 mhz which corresponds to PC3200 so I would suggest another 256 MB stick with the same speed. I wouldn't recommend buying larger RAM then that as it could cause problems (I got this kind of problem before). So, you either throw out the old RAM and buy 2 new sticks or, you keep the old one and add another 256.

If you got only 1 RAM stick then your RAM is running with lesser then PC2100 and then I would say the same thing. A stick with the same speed to match the existing one.

I assume that the RAM and CPU are running with a 1:1 ratio, if they aren't then I don't know. That's the easiest way to detemine and solve your solution altough, it would be safer if you could open your computer and have a look at your RAM stick. It should have a label on it that states the speed and size.

Fill us in with more information as it's much easier to help you then. I hope that answered some of your questions.

Good Luck!

Edited by Marthax