VB.NEt and .NET Framework

I recently coded a really small program in VB.NET - about 500KB. Now is there any way to NOT have to have the .NET Framework installed in order to run the program? after a fresh reformat when i try and run the thing it gives an error occuring at some point in memory... can i not just supply the .dlls i used for the program and then run the program off them? its incredibly irritating! the actual gunctionality of the prog is really simple and shouldnt be a problem but it takes up about 16MB of RAM!

if anyone can give me a way to not take up so much RAM and to run the program independent of the framework please let me know

shot

Doesnt nLite run on alternative runtimes as well? Is that what you are looking for? Instead of downloading the entire .NET platform the end user will have to download like a 4 mb file + your program to have it running?

Because you coded your app in vb.net that means you have to have the .NET framework installed to run it. Just like if you code something in java you need the java runtime to run it.

If you want your program to run without the whole framework then you'll have to package up the pieces of the framework that you do use. Last time I thought about trying to only provided the needed dlls it turns out that they came out to 10-14MB so I dropped that idea and just said get the whole framework at 21MB. Nowadays you can get the RyanVM .NET package which is the whole thing + updates at about 12MB.

If you create an msi setup from visual studio it can determine what dll files your program will need packaged with it.

As for Ram usage, that sounds about right for an average vb.net program with a GUI. You shouldn't worry to much about 16MB of usage since most people usually have between 256MB-1GB of ram. Even if you make a new vb.net or c# window application then hit run without adding any buttons or code it will still take about 16-17MB because of the overhead from the .NET framework.

i Really HATE .net!! it s*cks!!!!

it was a BAD try from microsoft.. i don't know what kind of brain they're trying to use while making it.. (the upper, or the one at down :P)

i'll stick with VB 6 (as for Basic language) so long it will last..

then i will move to RealBasic or something else that Don't requires that st00pid .Net framework.. it's SLOW, Big, annoying and uses Alot of memory!

so do what you want but i Do NOT recomend a .Net language!!

Bye, Bye! :hello:

.NET is one of greates MS technologies, but you must know how to uses and how to achieve advantages.

Most people dont know lot about framework abilities....

Did you for example know that it is CPU independent?

Did you know that it is translated to CPU instructions from IL, so it is dynamically using CPU specifications?

Did you know that there is nothing like "DLL hell"?

Did you know that you can (as administrator) create something like transformation files for assemblies? (like mst for msi)

Did you know that using .NET you can create dynamically associated applications (I am already taking advantages of this)?

and there are many other things like this.

I really love .NET and I am looking forward to Vista, that will be based on .NET.

so its pointless tryna get around the framework then... lovely...

i dont have a problem with .NET - as an ADE/IDE it rocks... its REALLY easy to use... i mean if you dont know how to use.... youve got problems

i will say though that compared to other languages some of the properties available are minimal - but from what i hear .NET 2005 solves mosta these things... anyways.... shot for the help

*salute*