This service pack is causing

I formatted and reinstalled win98 in order to get rid of some crashing problems and those pesky ghost bars showing up on the taskbar. My reinstall solved it, I updated a few system drivers and runtime files myself. No more phantom rectangles on the taskbar after closing programs and screensavers and it ran smooth since, for a few weeks.

I found your service pack and thought it would save me time as I figured updating some more stuff would be better. The only two things I installed was the "Main" pack and the "Performance" tweak. Now it seems to overall slow down the system and the phantom rectangles are back again. Can your service pack be removed and the system put back in the state it was before? What does your "performance" tweak do besides the vcache? And will the Item in the add and remove list really remove your service pack? Too bad the service pack doesn't have a per item sub-list for the Main section. I'd like to isolate what causes these ghost bars accumlating on the taskbar.

Edited by Geoffw

We know by experience that uSP doesn't work for everybody, question of chance.

My advice is to re)install w98 over with the original cd. Using the uninstall may cause your PC to be unable to restart.

I ignore if the uninstall bug was solved or not in the last version.

Can your service pack be removed and the system put back in the state it was before? What does your "performance" tweak do besides the vcache? And will the Item in the add and remove list really remove your service pack? Too bad the service pack doesn't have a per item sub-list for the Main section. I'd like to isolate what causes these ghost bars accumlating on the taskbar.

If you'd monitor all what you are doing, you'd probably have your answers. See this post : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=49820.

The ghost icon buttons on taskbar is similar to the "screen saver" icon on taskbar problem mentioned in Microsoft support article 280722:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280722

If you have user.exe & user32.dll version 4.10.2227 or higher (latest is Q291362 which has 4.10.2231) OR if you install the KB891711 security update for Win98, you may encounter those ghost icons on the taskbar. This is NOT, I repeat, NOT a major problem with Win98se as I just click on those phantom icons to elliminate them and Win98se will work fine. the phantom icons are just a minor bug, so dont worry about them.

A permanent solution (and I DONT recommend it) is to uninstall the KB891711 security patch and use version 4.10.2226 or earlier of the user.exe and user32.dll files.