Free Space On Hdd

Jeanolb

Hello,

I use Windows XP Pro + SP1 Int.

SCSI - 3 x Seagate Cheetah 35GB HDDs

When HDD n°1 is about full (suppose 80%), I transfer all files (images) to HDD n°2.

Looking at the space, it still indicating 80% full?

After defragmanting the HDD, it still indicating 80% full ?

Any explanation?

Many thanks in advance,

Jean

Thanks both for your reaction.

To Crispy: I mean defragmentation.

To LS_Dragons: No, I dit not empty recycle bin.

But when I "delete" some files, it's supposed to make space on the HDD.

I never used to empty the recycle bin before and never mentioned this.

When i delete the files, the HDD "seams" empty, I have a blanc page. But when I ask how much space there is on the drive, its the same as if I did not delete the files.

Do I realy have to empty the recycle bin each time?

Thanks in advance,

Jean

Yep. Disable system restore. Its a waste of resources. Never worked in ME and I hear others complaining of it with xp. If you want total control, use backup. Backup the registry and system files before an install. To tell the truth, I dont backup anything anymore. I use a monitoring installer (total uninstall) and jv16 power tools for looking after my files and registry and I've never had a problem. And if I do have a problem I will "repair" from the xp cd. And if you're really smart "ghost" the drive.

When I first joined MSFN, one of my first questions was why I was losing disk space...Then I disabled system restore, and it did the trick :)! To disable it, do the following:

Right-Click on 'My Computer'

Go to the 'System Restore' Tab

Check the 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' box

Click 'Apply'

Uncheck the same box

Click 'OK'

What you just did was disable system restore and enable it again...

I find XP's System Restor very usefull for when you are fooling around with things.. like for instance if when you're installing windows all over and each time you are getting an error at some point (after installing several apps) problem is when you uninstall em it don't remove everything so with system restore you can roll back for each time you ran an app.. this saved me a couple of times now.. When you got your system like you want it just make a backup with a 3rd party software and then disable it..

Restore files can get a bit consuming, so the best tjing to do is shrink done the size of the allocated space that they take yp

Alos by disabling system restore and restarting, u will kill off all the old restore points...once it restarts, enable it once agin and u will notice some slight increase in performance, and a bit more space....

=Drew

Hi,

Comming back to LS_Dragons and ThA_FiLeR:

Question: Where's the use to have a "Recycling bin" when you have to empty it ?

Because I'm not an "advanced" user, (except as a licenced electronic engineer, I started computing in 1974!) I always try to be logic in my decisions... common senses, you know?).

Jean

Question: Where's the use to have a "Recycling bin" when you have to empty it ?

The only purpose i see in a Recycle bin is if you delete somthing on acciendt, u can restore it to its normal place without too much fuss.

But then agin im pretty sure when i want to delete things....

=Drew