Windows 2003 Memory Controller On XP?

hoak

When you tested loading Word up with and without the memory controller, did you flush the prefetch each time?  Otherwise, after it loads into prefetch that would affect your results and cause the program to load up faster.

Prefetch in on test OFF.

Will this work on Windows 2000?

:huh:

Of course ;)

More information about memory controler :

More cache for HDD (illusion faster HDD B) )

Quick cleaning memory

Better administration memory

Program load quick, HDD is faster, Windows get less memory on start

Thank you very much Piterniel :thumbup

I was away for a couple days and I see you have made it to the MSFN forum and have already translated your project to English.

I remember changing NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM to win2k files on NT4 sometime back and gaining a improved boot time. Interesting to see this works and benefits Win XP with 2k3 files.. Just downloaded and will have to give this a try tonight.

I am currious, may I ask, is there a reason you are using the 2k3 pre-sp1 files vs the sp1 versions?

Update: Well.. Only changed teh NTLDR and NTDETECT files (other tweaks I am familiar with and dont want to try quite yet, some I already have applied on my own). Defenately makes XP behave differently.. I think faster is a a good way to describe it. Explorer (browsing folders/files at least) seems much faster.. Looks like XP made new prefetch data as at first firefox took longer then usual ont he first run.. But now, it seems faster then before too. Will continue to test this on a couple other machines tommorow as it is vey late. and I need some sleep.

Hmm, I see ntldr is from a polish version of 2k3. :}

Edited by bilemke

I am currious, may I ask, is there a reason you are using the 2k3 pre-sp1 files vs the sp1 versions?
This 2 fieles - Windows 2k3 non-sp1 + tweaks by LiTE :)
I need some sleep.

:yes:

Hmm, I see ntldr is from a polish version of 2k3.
This is no problem for Windows 2k3 in english version ?
I mean without the program... only files...

Hm.. meabe I extract this files :)

Edited by Piterniel

k cool! (meabe:P)

Another question, did you also edited those files a bit? Or was it just copying by overwriting it.

I edit this 2 fieles and overwrite on system partition ;)

is sp1 2k3 memory controller in the future

is it faster?

I dont know, I must test memory controler forum SP1 and edited this 2 fieles. I must get more time for this project :wacko:

Edited by Piterniel

I edit this 2 fieles and overwrite on system partition ;)

ntdetect was identical to the one I compared it to from a 2k3 cd.. ntldr was of course different since it was in polish. But otherwise the files appeared unchanged to me.

Ummm, question:

Is the (W2k3) memory controller also possible for (unattended) XP?

I mean without the program... only files...

Dont want to step on Piterniel's feet here, but ntdetect.com and ntldr are right out in the open in the I386 folder of 2k/xp/2k3.. As long as windows doesnt get picky during install you could probally just drop the files right in your setup cd.. Otherwise under the OEM folder would get past that little bit.

Ntdetect & ntldr,  arent those files for booting only?

Or am I wrong:P

True.. boot look at what ntldr (nt loader) is loading (ntkrnlpa.exe)... If it can do a better job of getting windows up, windows (in this case atleast) can probaly run better/faster.

As I stated in a earlier post, I remember reading about trying this with nt4 using 2k files a some time ago. Took a little more work back then as I think you had to start a win2k install to get not just the files on the drive, but have it make some change to the boot sector of the drive.

If only we could use some other major files out of 2k3 in xp.. Like the kernel perhaps. :rolleyes:

Edited by bilemke

didn't tested but:

1) how exatly did you get the values? I mean the times of loading IE,OE etc.

2) the ram consume is bigger and bigger so I think that something is preloaded to get "this and that" run quicker

3) look at the graphs from taskman... they aren't from the same time after boot I think... so for me there are not much really good info that it really works

BUT CONVIENCE ME ABOUT MY MISTAKE

Edited by tester_pedro