ebay or scam?

Thauzar

I've been asked a lot about that kind of email from friends and relative, I suspect this is fake and the link to "update" is not even working in hotmail. At least if it's not real more people will know and beware.

eBay sent this message to Ebay Member.

Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more. 

Ebay Security Service -- Account Protection  

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address. Click the Respond Now button below to send your response via My Messages (your email address will not be included). 

Ebay Security Service

Dear Customer ,

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if you don't re-update your account information. To resolve this problems please use the link below and re-enter your account information. If your problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 24 hours, after this period your account will be terminated. .

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account. Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to eBay.

To update your record please click here:

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you and we would like to thank you for your cooperation as we review this matter.

Attention Details 

Attention name: One or more attempts to log in to your eBay account

Attention number: 5005579761 

End date:  2-Jul-05 13:30:00 EDT 

View item description:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...ADME:L:RTQ:CA:1

Thank you for using eBay!

http://www.ebay.ca/

Marketplace Safety Tip  

Always remember to complete your transaction on eBay - it's the safer way to buy.

Please do not offer to buy or sell this item through this form without completing the transaction on eBay. If you receive a response inviting you to transact outside of eBay, you should decline -- such transactions may be unsafe and are against eBay policy. 

Is this email inappropriate? Does it violate eBay policy? Help protect the community by reporting it. 

This email appears in the language of the eBay site where you are registered. 

Learn how you can protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails at:

http://pages.ebay.ca/education/spooftutorial 

This eBay notice was sent to member on behalf of another eBay member through the eBay platform and in accordance with our Privacy Policy. If you would like to receive this email in text format, change your notification preferences. 

See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have questions about eBay's communication policies.

Privacy Policy: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/privacy-policy.html

User Agreement: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/user-agreement.html 

Copyright © 2005 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.

Oh and BTW I just logged in to my ebay account and had no such messages in my message box. Moreover, i'm not suspended or anything since I managed to log in on the 1st attempt... this smells horsesh*t

Edited by Thauzar

That's what my instinct thought too, it's not because they show real links to real ebay pages about policy that it's coming from ebay. But at least people will get to look at it and know what it is when they get this in their mailbox. Warn your n00b aunts and grand-mothers :thumbup

I've had similar e-mails and I don't even have an ebay account. I have forwarded them to ebay and gotten a reply saying they would never do anything like that. They are aware of the phishing scam. I would suggest you forward your's also. I doutb that they can do anything about it other than let their clients know about the scam.

DL

If you want to do yourself and others a favor, you can forward the email to spoof@ebay.com. They will respond with a generic email letting you know they didn't send it.

DL