NT? NIC Install....

how picky is NT 4.0 (i think its 4) when you add a NIC in? is it like 98 where it asks you for a cd? the machine being added to the network NEEDS to stay up and running ( its a chemical analysis system that dumps info into a whitebox pc).

im very familiar with 98 2k and xp, but i have never touched a NT box before soooooo im being very cautious. dont want to kill this thing. plus we couldnt find any of the software discs that came with the pc.

any helpful hints from you NT gurus?

How picky? Have you looked at the manufactyrers web site for installation instructions. They offer free technical assistance for student projects. I have learned the best way to install a new NIC with NT (any flavor) is to backup, install it, and bring the whole network online at the same time.

i know how to install the drivers, im just worried itll ask me for something i dont have.

the NT box isnt on the network right now, but is getting put on. i can only have this machine down for about 15 minutes, because they use it constantly.

my main worry was that it would want a nt disc/disk like 98 does whenever you install hardware.

i dont have ANY of the orginial software. no NT discs, no manufacturer "recovery/system" discs. nothing.

the only thing i hve is the driver disc for the nic...

you have the model number, and the FCC number. so you should find the drivers for the card by using the Manufacturers site or failing that the FCC site. NT is all for networks, you will be fine.

15 minutes? just make sure you have the drivers ready and you should easy manage that dude :)

FCC number search