Modifype help?

can someone explain on how to do the modifype part: because i dont understand the:

Do you know the full path to your file? If you don't feel like typing in the entire path, then simply navigate to the folder. If you have the ability to open a command prompt by right clicking on a folder, that's even easier.

Once in your folder, type at the prompt:

modifype.exe filename.xxx -c

Replacing filename.xxx with your filename, or if needed the the complete path then your filename ( C:\winntbbu.dll for the screenshot below).

part.... how exactly do i do this....everytime i try it gives me an error?

can someone explain on how to do the modifype part: because i dont understand the:

Do you know the full path to your file? If you don't feel like typing in the entire path, then simply navigate to the folder. If you have the ability to open a command prompt by right clicking on a folder, that's even easier.

Once in your folder, type at the prompt:

modifype.exe filename.xxx -c

Replacing filename.xxx with your filename, or if needed the the complete path then your filename ( C:\winntbbu.dll for the screenshot below).

part.... how exactly do i do this....everytime i try it gives me an error?

ok try this heres a easy mehod for you

make you a folder in your c drive call it anything you want,,

example C:\test

place your file modifype.exe and any file you want to modifype in this folder

now go to start and hit run

type cmd

then at the command prompt type cd\test

that will switch you to the right folder that you want to be in

then type modifype.exe whatever.exe -c

then if done right it will give you a promt with no errors found,

then just make a cab of the file if needed..

hope that helps

The quote you gave assumes you have a basic understanding of the command line.

Edited for being wrong.

Anyway, let's break down the quote you were having trouble with:

What this means is you're supposed to use the command line to navigate to where the file you want to modify is. You can either do this by "typing in the entire path," for example,
CD "%UserProfile%\Desktop\ModifyPE"

or by "navigat[ing] to the folder" using multiple CD commands:

CD "%UserProfile%"
CD Desktop
CD ModifyPE

"If you have the ability to open a command prompt by right clicking on a folder, that's even easier." This is referring to a tweak that adds the ability to right-click on a folder in Windows Explorer and open a command line directly to this folder. It is the same thing as typing either of the above commands.

Lastly, the actual command and modifying the file. Make sure ModifyPE.exe is in the same folder as the file you want to modify, then type

ModifyPE.exe <filename> -c

where <filename> is the name and extension of the file you want to modify, which will usually be a dll (but doesn't have to be). You should see "No Error occurred, have a nice day" in the command line. If you get an error, please post it here and someone can give you more specific help.

Edited by Achdine

Lost Soul...have you used the Command Line before?  Open it up, and type "CD\<anyfolder>"  I can guarantee you that it will not work, and I can also guarantee that when the average person opens the command line %UserProfile% is the working directory.  You are wayyyy off base. 

From "CD /?",

CHDIR [/D] [drive:][path]

CHDIR [..]

CD [/D] [drive:][path]

CD [..]

no way i wont arguer over some thing so small.. all he has to do is open the command prompt

by typing

1. cmd

2. type cd\test

3. mod your file,, and thats it

this method works just fine..

so hakeem,, use what ever method you find easiest,,

as for Achdine dont flame a post unless youve tried every possibility,,

end of post

Lost Soul...have you used the Command Line before?  Open it up, and type "CD\<anyfolder>"  I can guarantee you that it will not work, and I can also guarantee that when the average person opens the command line %UserProfile% is the working directory.  You are wayyyy off base. 

From "CD /?",

CHDIR [/D] [drive:][path]

CHDIR [..]

CD [/D] [drive:][path]

CD [..]

You are out to lunch.

I have been using DOS since version 2.1

There is nothing wrong with Lost Soul's syntax.

He just simplified your version into one short simple command.

Open a CMD Window

C:\Documents and Settings\hakeem5454> md\test

C:\Documents and Settings\hakeem5454> cd\test

is the same as

C:\Documents and Settings\hakeem5454> cd\

C:\Documents and Settings\hakeem5454> md test

C:\Documents and Settings\hakeem5454> cd test

The backslash (\) is used to signify root as well as a seperator for multiple directories

UNIX uses the slash (/) instead of backslash

so in UNIX you would need to enter

cd ~

mkdir test

cd /home/hakeem5454/test

or you can combine the commands

mkdir ~/test/

cd ~/test

In UNIX, a space is required between cd or mkdir (md)

@Gee and Lost Soul...

You're right. Thanks for explaining without being insulting/rude Gee. I apologize for my mistake (and I wish I could blame it on being so used to Bash, but I'm still not that comfortable on it :P ) and I'm sorry for trying to be helpful.

When I tested the command out I tried it with a folder I had in the root for several weeks, which had since been deleted. Thus my confusion.

Mmmm....lunch.

Does modifype actully Work ?? I Mean ive Copyed The winntbbu.dll Out Of The i386 Folder Ive Changed the The BMP In it Saved It Ran modifype On The Dll It Comes Back Saying No Error occurred, have a nice day. Ive Just Modded the file ... Wouldint There Be something To Fix?

Edited by hatred

Does modifype actully Work ?? I Mean ive Copyed The winntbbu.dll Out Of The i386 Folder Ive  Changed the The BMP In it Saved It Ran  modifype On The Dll It Comes Back Saying No Error occurred, have a nice day. Ive Just Modded the file ...  Wouldint There Be something To Fix?

Yes ModifyPE works perfectly. All it does is correct the Checksums. If you are planning on recompressing the file via makecab and adding it to your Unattended Install, this is a necessary step. Otherwise, during the install, XP will not copy the file over and report a error copying winntbbu.dl_

Ok . Was Just wondering About the modifype Cause When I use It. It Allways says No Errors Have A Nice Day. Kinda thought It Would Give You some Indication That It Fixed the Dll

Ok . Was Just wondering About the modifype Cause When I use It. It Allways says No Errors Have A Nice Day. Kinda thought It Would Give You some Indication That It Fixed the Dll

Thats it, Have A Nice Day means it done what was needed, you then have to pack it up with makecab

ok im so confused now:S:S

what do i have to type in the CMD window if i put the modifype file in the system32 folder(just like in the guide)

put MODIFYPE.EXE in same directory as the file then all you need is

modifype.exe winntbbu.dll -c in a dos prompt

Edited by maxXPsoft