free broadband?

OK, here's the deal...First off, I know nothing about broadband/DSL/whatever...My brother had DSL at his college dorm, and it wouldn't work right, so the techs gave his the correct IP/dns/etc... to put into his connection settings, which we still have on a little pink paper...which was irrelevant, but regardless...if I purchased a DSL modem (specifically this one, if it matters) and entered that information as my connection settings, could i pipe through to the college's connection and use it?

OK, here's the deal...First off, I know nothing about broadband/DSL/whatever...My brother had DSL at his college dorm, and it wouldn't work right, so the techs gave his the correct IP/dns/etc... to put into his connection settings, which we still have on a little pink paper...which was irrelevant, but regardless...if I purchased a DSL modem (specifically this one, if it matters) and entered that information as my connection settings, could i pipe through to the college's connection and use it?

No.

Each modem has its own address which must go thru the IP so getting free broad band is very hard. One thing some people do tho is to get a signal detector and find an unencrypted signal coming from wireless, keep in mind signal theft is still theft

No, Although.....

If you really wanted free broadband from the college here's what you can do. Hope that the network info you have is still valid, go to the college and tap into their LAN without them knowing, rig up a series of wireless transmitters, use enough so that you can get the signal at your house and there you go free broadband access. Well except for the several thousand dollar up front fee of the wireless transmitters but thats just a one time thing :thumbup

Lol...thanks for the sugestions, but I don't think they make a transmitter that can reach 25 miles. :D But, I just realized how dumb that question actually was...that is like asking if I connected straight to my AOL proxy without dialing up could I still use the internet? Doh.

Lock please.

Lol...thanks for the sugestions, but I don't think they make a transmitter that can reach 25 miles. :D  But, I just realized how dumb that question actually was...that is like asking if I connected straight to my AOL proxy without dialing up could I still use the internet?  Doh.

Lock please.

ROFLMFAO!!! :w00t:

[ Closed. ]