is peer to peer legal ?

grafx1

Personally I would never download any of these softwares onto my machine, firstly in order to share files with other people on the net you need to have some sort of spyware installed on your machine, so that other peole from the outside can access your files when you are online, most of these P2P applications come bundled with all sorts of rubbish which is very difficult to remove from your machine.

File sharing, like movies, music and applications is copyright theft and therefore illegal.

Personally I would never download any of these softwares onto my machine, firstly in order to share files with other people on the net you need to have some sort of spyware installed on your machine, so that other peole from the outside can access your files when you are online, most of these P2P applications come bundled with all sorts of rubbish which is very difficult to remove from your machine.

File sharing, like movies, music and applications is copyright theft and therefore illegal.

Thank you for your fast reply

you are very strong that you can keep yourself from downloading all that librarry

of new movies, software,.... in order not to break copyright laws.

actually i'm using them :blushing: but i'm feeling that is something wrong...

Kazaa lite contains no spyware of any type and I have tried loads of bittorrent clients and none have ever contained spyware of any kind. As wherever it is legal or not I use Bitspirit as my bittorrent client and download gigabytes of content monthly but all is legal from sights such as Filerush & 3dgamers for game demos etc. Also a lot of free application are now switching to bittorrent for user downloads because it takes strain of there servers and there for lower costs, example being OpenOffice

Like I said, copyright material is illegal to P2P, however freeware isnt, and unfortunaly I read in the newspaper that a lady was just fined £13,000 because her daughter was file sharing music (copyrighted), I would sooner pay £8.99 for a CD than pay a £13,000 fine. Sony and a few other record company's currently surf the NET looking for people with drives full of shared software.

First off Seanie's Show everyone is aware that music, game & film companies try to hunt down those sharing copyright material but 100 of millions of people have download p2p software ever since napstar kicked it off in a big way. Do you really think they are going to catch YOU downloading one album etc. You have more chance in winning the lottery. Also they do not look for people with drives full of software there is no way they would win in court if they did that because to do that they will have to hack your system . They try put dummies files on the net and monitor who downloads them they then log the ip address of that person and find out who and where you are. But as I said the likely hood of them actualy catching You is like a zillion to 1 and why people do download illegal files they also still by music and the companies do not want to prosecute there customers so they do a odd prosecution here and there to scare people like YOU off the idea. There are also apps out there that block the ip addresses of the companies trying to monitor you so they will then be unable to get your ip address

Peerguardian is free fast and effective: http://methlabs.org/projects/peerguardian-2-windows/

Also Bitcomet is a great bittorrent client for download torrent files(legal obviously): http://www.bitcomet.com/

There are many apps that are free and starting to use bittorrent.

For game demo's I suggest you check out http://www.filerush.com/ everything on there is 100% legal.

Edited by englishmen

Like Astalavista said ... The use of P2P is legal. What u do with it, is something that can be illegal.

I have used P2P do download some things I needed ... Dont use it now very often tho. Fakes are all over the networks and its quite boring download a 4GB fake file. :(

You cant be talking about bittorrent I have or not one I know has ever en counted a fake file on bittorrent. It works in a completely different way to kazza etc., kazaa just lists all the files on your pc on bittorrent you have to first upload each and every file.

You cant be talking about bittorrent I have or not one I know has ever en counted a fake file on bittorrent. It works in a completely different way to kazza etc.

Spoofed files are rampant on the networks Kazaa uses because Kazaa only hashes the first 256kB of files, in order to speed things up. Kazaa is thus vulnerable to spoofing where the first 256kB of any given spoofed MP3 was identical to the proper MP3, and the following data is, at best, scrambled MP3 frames.

BT hashes the full file, and collision attacks on SHA1 require something like 2^69 hash operations. The files can't be spoofed, but they may still be "fake", in the sense that the file is not what the torrent or filename indicates it to be.