What about...

patchworks

win98, like win95 is a dead operating system ms will stop even releasing security patches for it very soon (if this didn't already happen). Supporting it would be only a waste of time.

Why don't you just upgrade from such an old an boring operating system? :P

Xp works fine even on a p 200 with at least 128mb of ram if well configured (yeah it will take a while but you will be surprised by the result).

Edited by Francesco

XP will not work fine on a 200mhz system, under any circumstance. Further, 128MB of RAM is far too little for XP.

It'd take nearly 30 minutes just to boot ... and that's if the HDD is big enough to handle the page file.

BTW, Microsoft stopped supporting all Windows pv4 a long time ago.

XP will not work fine on a 200mhz system, under any circumstance. Further, 128MB of RAM is far too little for XP.

It'd take nearly 30 minutes just to boot ... and that's if the HDD is big enough to handle the page file.

BTW, Microsoft stopped supporting all Windows pv4 a long time ago.

30 minutes?? I have a p 200 mmx with xp here at my house and it works perfectly it boots in about 1 minute and it is not all that slow my sister uses it for browsing the web and except for the low ram has always worked fine (my xp installation has been tuned for that computer however: now it uses only 48mb of ram with some of the services and themes disabled). Word 2003 takes about 15 seconds to starts the 1° time, about 4-5 seconds when i relaunch it. It works even too well for such an old pc I was very surprised to find out that it was working so well on such an old pc.

Now it also has an av installed (avast! with web scan and outlook scan) and resident defragmentation (diskeeper 9) and it still works very smoothly (surely more smoothly than a crappy 98 installation with ie6 and all the latest updates).

BTW When I installed it on the computer it only had 64mb of ram and it was still working fine (I could open for example ie and word without a lot of swapping slowdown). Xp is not all that slow on old computers and I think that the cpu is the least thing that could impact its running speed, free ram and hd speed are far more important things to get your xp installation to run well.

Edited by Francesco

yes i made the same experience

i have a pentium pro 200 with 128mb laying around here and it is the same like discribed above

it took a lot of time to configure the system but it works great with a 9gb scsi ultra 80 hd

so thats it