Monitor : Samsung 793s

Has anyone any susggestion regarding configration

CPU : AMD 3000 64+

Board : MSI Neo2 as only board to work with Win98 as its having Via Chipset

Ram : 1 GB 400FSB

HDD : 160GB Seagate Sata

Graphics: 5200FX with 256Ram

Monitor : Samsung 793s

Do you mean 98 SE? Win 98 SE is a good choice (I use it along with Linux). You won't be able to exploit 64-bit capability though - try Linux x86_64 builds. Be sure to install 98 SE Unofficial SP 2.01, the 98SE2ME upgrade (requires an ME disk) which provides all of the good of ME and none of the bad, and Maximus Decimus Generic USB Drivers. Information on all of these patches is available at MSFN.

With 1 GB RAM, the disk cache may grow larger than 512 MB which may cause problems in 98 SE. The Unofficial SP corrects this by limiting the max file cache size in SYSTEM.INI to 384 MB. For performance reasons you should use 256 MB or so anyway.

If you have any problems booting try to reduce your RAM by setting MaxPhysPage=30000. FYI, I use MSI Neo Fis2R and did not need to do this.

I had nightmares using Neo Fis2R and Kingston memory. Random corruption, random ASCII characters while booting, etc.. If you see any corruption, replace your memory with generic brand RAM. Run Prime95 to expose instability problems.

I am not sure about SATA, but the following is true for PATA at least. Be careful with drives larger than 137 GB (=128 GiB) which require 48-bit LBA addressing. From DOS mode or Windows Safe mode you will have no problems as the BIOS will be used. From Windows normal mode your hard disk controller will be ESDI_506.PDR which does NOT support 48-bit addressing. The result will be that access to areas above 137 GB will wrap around and potentially cause hard disk corruption. Partitons have nothing to do with this and can't solve this. You can install VIA IDE Miniport drivers to solve this. It will be dangerous to use > 137 GB until you install VIA IDE Miniport drivers; after that your hard disk controller will use VIADSK.MPD and you should be OK. Also SCANDISK and DEFRAG (even WinME verisons) don't work with partitions larger than 137 GB.

Some free software suggestions: use Ranish partiton manager (part244.exe) to partition your disk - it's great. Also use Savepart.exe (Partition Saving) for working with partition images, and XOSL or Smart Boot Manager as boot managers.

I use SB Live! Value CT4830 which supports DOS mode and has an SB16 emulation device in Windows. It's great.

Edited by azagahl

Why windows 98?

Several reasons...

Better DOS support + CPU real mode support. I can quickly boot into DOS and log on the Internet if I want, and not wait for XP to load. Also it turns off like a TV, you do not have to wait forever for XP to shutdown.

Good hardware support - AGP, USB, SATA, Bluetooth devices, etc.

Good software support - DX 9.0c, Remote Desktop, etc..

Less runtime bloat + less disk usage = more efficiency

No communist activation schemes (important for those who change hardware frequently)

Safer from viruses and hackers - no Blaster problems

98 does not have better hardware support. Memory management in the 9x series just plain sucks. If you get hit by viruses more often than not its your own fault for not keeping the system updated properly. Windows XP will be any slower than XP with that configuration. Who really needs DOS support anymore? Having one operating system lie on top of another is just not smart.

Windows 98 is actually more vulnerable to viruses because programs can easily get DIRECT access to hardware. Operating systems after 2000 do not let software interact with hardware directly.

If you want less bloat in Windows use nlite and disable services that you do not need. nLite makes it REAL easy to get rid of anything that you do not want.

Also, XP is a hell of a lot more stable than 98. You have to really TRY to kill XP to the point where it doesnt function. Hell its a PITA to get it to blue screen. Its easy to do on 98 with a program having an errant pointer or such.

I still cannot believe someone saying 98 is better than XP.

No communist activation schemes (important for those who change hardware frequently)

Good point there. I hope MS will consider those Modders/PC enthusiasts/etc that change their hardware often for Longhorn (or future XP SP maybe).

Regards,

N.

I hope MS will consider those Modders/PC enthusiasts/etc

I hope so too. It looks like things are set to get worse with Treacherous.. err "Trustworthy" Computing. MS will lose a lot of customers for playing games with its users.

FYI you can avoid activiation by installing original XP and then using a volume key and then you can upgrade to SP2. However it is harder to activate XP CD w/ SP2 which is designed to check for well-known volume keys. I still think it's better to just use an OS without these hassles.

Who really needs DOS support anymore? Having one operating system lie on top of another is just not smart.

I see it as versatile. In DOS I can mount a compressed RAM disk on the fly from a script. Can XP do that? Personally, I like to master many different OS's. No need to put all your eggs in one basket.

Also, a lot of bios utils, boot managers, and disk partitioning / imaging tools still use DOS because of its direct hardware access support.

98 does not have better hardware support

Sometimes it does. XP SP2 is incompatible with an awful lot of hardware. I can't find the large list at Microsoft's website any more (did they remove it?) but there is a lot of info out there...

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/archive/forum-153-41.php

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878478#appliesto

Edited by azagahl

Well guys i choose this motherboard because i want to backward compacible and neither NVIDIA nor ATI chipset support win98se and i find win98 best OS with 16bit support which help us work on bios and low and medium level programs. Although i have windows xp 32 bit as well as windows x64 64 bit os and obiously longhorn is going to work better on this. So i believe we should have something that is backward compactible.

Even Windows 1.0 works on this :yes: B) ;):thumbup

i never bought it because i am using 98se but it is backward compactible with win98 where most of the 16 bit application runs and why we need 16 bit application to work on systems u guys know it very well Right?

Well neither nvidia chipset nor ati chipset support Win9x.Win9x is the most needful thing when ur system is in trouble relating hardware problems or any modification relating to low level programs like bios hex coding etc which works best under 16 bit support