Linksys Or Siemens Router

mike13

I am upgrading to cable internet shortly, and since there are two computers in the house I will need a router. Best Buy and Circuit City are advertising the Siemens Speedstream 2-port router #ss2602 for $44.99, the Siemens Speedstream 4-port router #ss2604 for $59.99, and also the Linksys 4-port router #Befsr41 for $69.99 after rebate. I am leaning toward the Siemens 2-port for #44.99 since I only have two computers, although I have read many positive comments concerning the Linksys. Opinons please-is the Linksys worth the extra money, or are the two of equal quality ? Many thanks, Mike

Here are some experiences of mine on the Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/Router. I got my first chance to do some home networking when I upgraded to XP Home in November of 2001. This is when XP was launched and Staples put out some incentives along with the purchase of an upgrade. What I chose was the router listed above along with a 10/100 Mbps card and a 10‘ cat5 cable. As time has went by some items have come up that would be a good idea to share with my friends.

Things went along pretty well the first couple of weeks and as I got use to the Linksys way of doing things I started to tinker (hence the NICname hehe) around. I ran across the firmware upgrade for the router and decided of course to install it. This resulted in the router locking up. There is a red flashing light on the diag LED now and no comm. After getting info from Linksys support I was able to recover from the lock up and move on.

The next time (which was about a year ago) I decide to install the latest and greatest the red diag LED came on solid and stayed that way. I got some error messages on the screen as to bad or corrupt but I do not know what they were at this time. So, my last call to Linksys support resulted in “that router is DOA”. Well you can imagine how I felt about this time in the conversation. Turns out the router is under warranty so I am pursuing that avenue. Of course the problem now is what to do for LAN. Yep you guessed it, buy another Linksys BEFSR41. This I did ( you can get them now for around 70 bucks).

The new router just did not seem right from the start up and with in 3 days it would not allow LAN connections. A pop up on XP would jump up and say that the LAN was disconnected and then disappear just about as fast. Of course this raised a flag. Then it just stopped allowing LAN connections but would do WAN (internet) just fine. After a trip to the land of miracles (Best Buy) and exchange was made and for the past couple of hours things look real sweat…..

Just some information for the brain………….

Tinker…..

Update:

I have been running the present Linksys router now for close to a year and no problems what so ever. I would get the 4 port, you never know when you will need to hook up another computer.........

:)

I would advise you to go with the linksys router if the $10 won't hurt ya.. I haven't tried a siemens router before.. but I can tell u for sure that the linksys router will be very easy to set up.. here's my network.. various people have said it's looking very nice, heh I guess so :)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST...st=0#entry28136