64-bit?

thebrad13

64 bit procs can mess with bigger chuncks of data at a time, which certainly gives a perfomance boost, but only with a 64 bit OS and applications. You can still run 32 bit OSes and apps, though.

64 bit won't really be much of a benefit for a while longer anyways, so if you want Intel, take your pick, anything will do. But if you're in it for gaming and are willing to give AMD a shot, Athlon64 is an excellent choice.

64 bit procs can mess with bigger chuncks of data at a time, which certainly gives a perfomance boost, but only with a 64 bit OS and applications.  You can still run 32 bit OSes and apps, though.

64 bit won't really be much of a benefit for a while longer anyways, so if you want Intel, take your pick, anything will do.  But if you're in it for gaming and are willing to give AMD a shot, Athlon64 is an excellent choice.

why is AMD excellent choice in Gaming ?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I would avoid Intel 64 bit CPU's at the moment and go for an AMD 64bit if you are looking to go 64 bit that is,

Firstly: Intel currently has a very serious heat problem with their 64bit CPU's and it seems to me that they just got them out on the market quickly (without solving their problem) to try and keep up with AMD who are currently leading the way.

Secondly: you dont find many Sinclair Spectrum 128's about any more, and eventually you wont find any 32bit about either, so I would look into the future and go 64bit, get a mobo with a nvidia chipset as they currently have all the 64bit drivers available.

And last of all: If you do go for AMD 64bit make sure you get a Socket 939 not the 754 as they are pushing 754 out of the door, it does not support PCI-e cards and does not come with Dual channel DDR a mistake that I made without reviewing it properly first, now rectified.

THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT, THE FUTURE IS AMD.

I have an AMD athlon 64 bit 3000+, the stock speed of this CPu is 1.8ghz, mine is running overclocked at 2.20ghz using Arctic Silver 5 paste and the stock HS&F, current temps are 27oC Idle and 40oC Maxed out, the book says that this CPU will reach 70oC before crashing,