Editing my own post

Yzöwl

I posted a message earlier, upon reading it back, I noted a mistake.

No problem, I thought, I'll just Edit it!

However the Edit button wasn't there.

The message is this one!

In an attempt to bypass the button, I decided to add the appropriate URL directly into the address bar, i.e.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=Post&CODE=08&f=80&t=47496&p=329744&st=0

but I get a return error message

• Sorry, you do not have permission to edit that message

Do you know why, or can you fix the problem?

Thank you.

<Edit>

I have now noticed that myt next message in that thread is no longer editable now either!

It was before, but no longer.

Has there been some sort of change in the way the forum software works?

</Edit>

Thanks Alanoll, I caught your reply in the said thread.

It does sound a little mysterious though, any more information, or are you bound to what you can say.

It would seem that there are many more valid reasons for editing posts than ways to abuse it. Now there is no way to correct inaccuracies or enhance a post. Seems like overkill, and it diminishes the forum to some extent. Just my 2 cents.

Hello,

This post is addressed to MSFN forums mods.

This is the 1st time I ask a question or suggest something in this forum, which I keep enjoy using/reading since Nov 2004.

Among the main reasons I visit MSFN forums are (1) the cool people and (2) the excellent features of the software/scripts used [customized phpbb I believe].

The topic I created + maintain:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

involves frequent updates due to the nature of my project.

Until June 1 2005, I was able to edit my older posts [the most important is the 1 at the top], which is essential to my package, to announce all interested when + why I'm updating, because the top post is the most visible and easiest to read, for both newcomers and seasoned users.

Now this is not possible anymore.

I do understand the reason why this has been restricted [and I've read all posts above], but IMHO to remove the edit option doesn't look like the optimal solution.

Please let me know if you guys plan on reinstating the edit button.

Thanks for reading.

Best wishes

Although I doubt it would ever be an issue with me, I give any advice and remarks freely for any viewers. I'm sure that some people, if angered enough may wish to withdraw something or everything even after a cooling off period.

Are you saying that if that was the case that this would not be allowed. I'm aware of the havoc it may cause to the running of the board, search facility, and links etc. Is that the reason, or is it an ownership issue with material posted and entitlements /permissions?

Would it for instance be allowed if requested to the board administration, in such a way as to allow minimum disruption. Let's be honest, the main reason for the withdrawn posts will be a retaliative act to cause disruption anyhow. (You made me mad, now I'm gonna show you!)

I strongly agree with MDGx. Maybe we should remove this 'time limitation' and change it into 'depending on number of posts'. I guess these 'abuses' were mainly made by newbies?
Surprisingly no. I won't say who, to protect the member in question, but it was not a "newbie" who did this.

I must agree with MDGx, even though i didn't read the entire post.

There are three options, two of which are readily available:

1. Enable the EDIT button

2. Disable the EDIT button

3. Require a MOD to approve any edits.

The problem with number 3, is that you make an edit so that it's immediately available, however requiring an approval will not allow people to remove their posts in anger. But then there's the problem of whether or not it's even POSSIBLE with IPB. I know that for the Unattended PHP, this option will be enabled so that any edits must be approved, in fact any initial entries must be approved as well as it will appear directly on the page.

It may also be possible to create another group of members who have use of the EDIT button, or perhaps enable a limit to the number of posts a member can edit in a single day or something. I know seperate groups will work, as I can edit any post, but I'm a MOD so...yeah...

Among the main reasons I visit MSFN forums are (1) the cool people and (2) the excellent features of the software/scripts used [customized phpbb I believe].

MSFN uses IPB with a few modified plugins and extras added in.

I'll discuss this with xper, or if nothing else makes sure he's aware of this post.

It may also be possible to create another group of members who have use of the EDIT button, or perhaps enable a limit to the number of posts a member can edit in a single day or something. I know seperate groups will work, as I can edit any post, but I'm a MOD so...yeah...

I agree with the whole group idea. Maybe a member can request it from an admin, and depending on their case, the admin might grant permission or not.