Mindows Project

Aegis

Thanks Aegis. Just enabled the audio service from recovery console and copied the audiosrv.dll file. still no sound, I guess i didnt' install the sound driver beforehand. My sound card is a realtek ac'97, unlike the video card, windows doesn't recognize it automatiallly. I think i have to reinstall my win2003.

I got the media player to play video(no sound). it's not the acm files. I have to coped a few dll files back to the system32 directory.

post-67245-1124485488_thumb.jpg

Edited by PatrickDL

So what files were they? And also there is a Microsoft command-line tool that allows driver management, not sure if it allows driver installs. The file is called devcon.exe. Do a search on MS for it.

Edited by Aegis

I put them in the attached batch file. These are the files needed to play video in media player after you have media player runing.

There are more dll file required to have media player running. Media player will ask for them and you know where to look for them. :)

can't attach bat file. I renamed to a text file.

mediaplayer.txt

Edited by PatrickDL

Your video card is not recognized, but is using a generic video driver. There is usually no need for the install of a real driver unless you play 3D games.

Did you try devcon.exe? And thanks for getting the required files for Media Player :).

No. After I installed the win2003, my video card was recognized using the generic driver, but my sound card was not recognized.

I wished I backuped the reg files at the begining so I can go back to the original setup.

As for the devcon, where can I get it ? it's not in the system32 directory. I am looking for it in the recovery console now.

Edited by PatrickDL

No I haven't, but once I did come upon an XFS driver for Windows, but unfortunately they were still working on the project at that time. It is likely that they are finished with it now, but I can't find the link to the site anymore :(. If anyone does find it, let me know, as an XFS driver for Windows would mean no more defragging.

Well I've tested the EXT2 filesystem driver for windows, and it works really well !!

http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

This has actually helped me since I work on Linux about 90% of the time.

But the only option to having this is that, you can't really use Windows directly onto a Ext2 Filesystem, UNLESS.....

You install both Windows and the Ext2 filesystem driver, and you would need to get either lilo or grub to boot to that ext2 filesystem, and THEN convert your FAT/NTFS windows filesystem to ext2 or maybe even ext3... In theory that works, but in theory anything works...

Maybe if somebody can grasp my idea, they could possibly get the time to try and test it out ?

I know I could just edit my above post, but I need to say this in an extra post...

Even though there is an idea above, I have read the site through and through and it states in its FAQ page.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What features are *not* supported?

+ This software does not achieve booting a Windows operating system from an Ext2 volume.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But maybe, just maybe, the file could be used to boot it, I'm not sure... Dang, I just got excited all for nothing... lol :P

I doubt that lilo, grub or other such bootloader will boot windows from a ext2, xfs or other such *nix-like type partition.

In the first place, NTLDR has support for NTFS and *knows* how to boot windows from a NTFS partition, after the kernel is loaded, the kernel depends on the NTFS driver which handles reads/writes from/to that partition.

As far as I have sought on the internet, I haven't come across such "xfs for windows driver", nor for Windows NT; that link, I presume, pointed to the SGI site, where they stated that "SGI uses Samba to export XFS filesystems to Windows NT" (that means that they use Samba to create network shares on *nix from directories on XFS partitions).

Aegis, It would be a pleasure for me to beta test this minimal windows.

Edited by razvannh

No I haven't, but once I did come upon an XFS driver for Windows, but unfortunately they were still working on the project at that time. It is likely that they are finished with it now, but I can't find the link to the site anymore :(. If anyone does find it, let me know, as an XFS driver for Windows would mean no more defragging.

Is this project what you're talking about? http://www.stacken.kth.se/projekt/arla/

According to their project documentation, they ported XFS/AFS to WinNT/2000.... although, the site doesn't seem to have any note of this...

Also, http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html -- EXT2 installable windows driver -- might be something worthwhile, as it was programmed using the Windows Installable Filesystem Driver SDK...

And here's a ReiserFS reader for Win32: http://yareg.akucom.de/

And a 'native' ReiserFS driver: http://rfsd.sourceforge.net/

Edited by jimmsta

Aegis, It would be a pleasure for me to beta test this minimal windows.

Great! The only thing really to test is application dependency files. I'll need this done for common applications such Word and Firefox. It'll pop up a warning tell you a specific file can't be found and after that, you should copy over the missing file. Keep doing this until you have the application working.

You can find information regarding how to start testing on the first post. And thanks for offering your time :D!

Edited by Aegis

Well I installed XP onto a FAT32 partition and then converted it to EXT3... and yes, I installed the filesystem driver... and doesn't seem to wanna boot... yet, there is no error, it just hangs... so maybe there is something there....

Or should I just forget about the whole thing, and just pop it in the virtual wastepaper basket ?

Well I installed XP onto a FAT32 partition and then converted it to EXT3... and yes, I installed the filesystem driver... and doesn't seem to wanna boot... yet, there is no error, it just hangs... so maybe there is something there....

Or should I just forget about the whole thing, and just pop it in the virtual wastepaper basket ?

I really don't see why there is such an effort trying to get EXT3 working on Windows. It doesn't really provide drastic improvement over NTFS or even FAT32. The only file system I'm interested in is XFS for its ability to prevent fragmentation, which even as a sole benefit, is still quite useful.