Minor help whit 2 hotfixes!

Have a few questions on the following

(this is taken from the Sticky HOTFIX post)

I am using svcpack.inf

*** NEW ***

KB890830 -› Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool V1.4

Download -› 474 KB (May 10, 2005)

Switches: KB890830.exe /q (cannot use the /integrate; option)

Can this one only use the /q switch? not /q /n /z /o

only /q switch? and it wont restart the install?

becouse when i run the /? on this one i only see the /q that i can use, but when i run /? on any other hotfix i dont see the /z switch anywhere so i figgure

there are switches that might be hidden!?

And this one?

KB873374 -› Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool

Download -› 216 KB (September 21, 2004)

Switches: KB873374.exe /Q:A /R:N (HALT BOX)

import this registry setting instead:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f

I am not sure i quite get this!

"import this registry setting instead:"

Instead?

And where does the: REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f

line go? in RuneOnceEx or a .reg file that i import (imort from where?)

Thanx in advance

EDIT: Yes one more thing!

I can add the dotnefw.exe to the svcpack.inf right?

if so any notes about it? shall i put it first of the hotfixes or last or somewhere in the middle (maby it needs to be in some special order)

Thanx again

well about the first one...

I am not mistooken then u cannot use it..its also written there

KB890830 -› Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool V1.4

Download -› 474 KB (May 10, 2005)

Switches: KB890830.exe /q (cannot use the /integrate; option)

so....the second part i dunno =)

Well i know i can´t INTERGRATE it "Switches: KB890830.exe /q (cannot use the /integrate; option)" but i just want to RUN it from the svcpack.inf that must be ok right?

They aren't hotfixes, so they don't support the /integrate switch. Run them silently during your unattended install or import the registry entries so WindowsUpdate thinks they've been run.

Switches examples are used in the SVCPACK.INF file (this is the resultant of the/integrate: switch)

So yes, you can put KB890830 in your svcpack.inf but you have to add it manually because it doesn't support the /integrate: switch

About KB873374, you cannot put this one in your svcpack.inf UNLESS you have repackaged the hotfixe so it won't halt until you click OK. The other option is to import the registry setting as mentionned from a reg file called from cmdlines.txt for example...

just follow the official guide about importing reg tweak or use the search function about repackaging KB873374...

But at the end of the day, am I correct in believing all of this is just a stop-gap measure given that the Removal Tool is updated monthly? I mean, the value data for the reg key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemovalTools\MRT" changes monthly per THIS discussion. So even though the tool has the same name and KB number, it actually IS a different tool writing a different value that is impossible to predict, resulting in a Windows Update nag sooner or later?

So for the security-minded among us, we are hosed. Reminds me of grade school, when everyone was punished for the naughty behavior of a few. :P