Microsoft Update

WBHoenig

Did you know that Microsoft Update is currently being tested? Are you testing it?  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know that Microsoft Update is currently being tested? Are you testing it?

• Yes; Yes
    • Yes; No
    • No; No
    • What's Microsoft Update?
    • How do I test it?

Microsoft Update is Windows Update, with one major change. Instead of just Windows updates, it will have Office, SQL, and exchange updates (more to come).

It is currently a technical beta but it is nearing the end of this stage.

I am currently testing it.

It should be released next month (June). MU and WSUS are MS next generation autoupdate tools - it wont patch only Windows, but also SQL, .NET, Office etc...

There are also some important changes regarding using new Windows Installer + BITS etc...

Talking about Windows Installer ... Ive seen that on the Critical Updates part, but ...

What is it? What exactly does it do? Is it really necessary?

Thanks and sorry for the little off-topic.

It is, second revision of 3.1 fixes some problems, but the most interesting point is that every new version of WI brings new functionality. WI 3 brings a LOT of stuff for patching/updating, so it looks like many companies will use it.

From Microsoft:

Q. Why are 2 more revisions released?

A. On 5/17, Windows Installer 3.1 package was released to "Windows Update V5" as a Critical Update. All updates released to "Windows Update V5" are automatically published to WSUS RC environment. This resulted in revision

102 of "Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1" (

b166a6a9-398b-4c81-b8db-2043cf0672a1 ) update. On WSUS RC, this update needs to be marked as WSUS update (or mandatory update) and hence revision

103 was published to make it WSUS update.

These re-release could not be avoided as WSUS RC is still not a final released product. Once the product is released, such re-releases will not happen.

Hence update b166a6a9-398b-4c81-b8db-2043cf0672a1, revision 103 is the latest release of the update. This is the only revision that needs to be approved.

Q. After the re-release, will the clients which already have the update install it again?

A. No. The Windows Installer binaries did not change across these revisions.

If a client had installed one revision of the update, then the new revision will not be installed.

File version of msi.dll installed by the update is 3.1.4000.2435. If the client machine with applicable OS/service pack has msi.dll < 3.1.4000.2435, then this update will be offered, otherwise it will not be offered.

Q. What are the applicable platforms for this update A.

Windows 2000 SP3, SP4

Windows XP SP1, SP2

Windows Server 2003 Gold

(only x86 platforms)

Q. Are any more re-releases of "Windows Installer 3.1" expected?

A. As of now, there are no more re-releases expected to WSUS RC. But please be aware that WSUS is still not a released product and hence there may be some more changes expected based on the issues being reported. We will make efforts to communicate any re-releases in future.

You can take a look at WSUS here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/evaluation/default.mspx)

I have it running at home and find it quite good for managing a number of machines. You can also set it up to daisy chain to other WSUS servers, so in theory you can roll this system out to the entire organisation and still only have one server that downloads the patches from the Microsoft Site.

Very nice - good price too (free) :w00t:

I have been testing it since it was still called WUS - cannot complain - never had one problem with it. Once download - many distributions. Love it!

how do I test it?

I think raza was refering to the topic i.e. wants to know how he/she can test Microsoft Update... :whistle:

I think its by invitation only - there may be an option to sign up but I'm not sure - anyone know?

Regards,

N.

• 2 weeks later...