How to integrate hotfixes into Unattended Iimage.?

Well it's been a while since I've been around. I've had my unattended image working well (with svcpack.inf taking care of hotfixes), but I've finally got some time to explore the integration option, and am hoping to save space on my CD...

Problem is, I'm not quite sure how to do it. I've got my CD's running perfectly using the svcpack.inf method, so what's the easiest way to switch over? And how exactly do I integrate the hotfixes? nLite? Batch file?

It's amazing how far behind I am after taking some time off..lol...any help would be appreciated... :)

Thanks for the reply Ryan, I tried to resond yesterday, but the site was really slow (don't know if that was me or the site).

Anyway, your inegration pack looks great. I'm wondering a couple of things though..

1 - What if I don't want to integrate all of the hotfixes in your Lite pack? Is there a way I can change that, or select which ones? I guess what I'm thinking is that I only installed maybe 15 in my svcpack.inf file, and so it seems like a lot of hotfixes in your pack... (don't get me wrong, I appreciate your work, just curious is there's a way to be selective about which ones).

2 - Are there certain hotfixes you can't integrate in, and that will still need to be installed using the svcpack.inf method? (is that why on the hotfix list, there are 1 or 2 that say /integrate will not work?)

Thanks for your help, I feel like I'm leaning all over again..lol

That is the best RyanVM's kept secret :P

Not exactly but to make you own and LEARN:

• Use the /integrate switch.
  • Delete *.exe from svcpack folder.
  • Delete *.exe entries from svcpack.inf
  • makecab new ones *.dll->*.dl_ *.sys->*.sy_ and so on.
  • test CD
  • Put back KB*.exe that WU ask for :blushing: For me:
    [SetupHotfixesToRun]
    KB885884.exe /q /n /z
    KB885836.exe /q /n /z
    KB885250.exe /q /n /norestart /o
    [ProductCatalogsToInstall]

JCarle compresion bin helps on makecab bunch of files.

Driver integration implies uncompress of Driver.cab and recompress again and so for SP2.cab. but I prefer not touch those.

Also save test time removing the Windows Update Security Warning. Copy those files from your cache dir, uncab and replace files with the same name in I386 dir. Easy!

Applications that never were in the CD couldn't be direct integrated, but repackaged with 7zip to slim down on size... Another history.

Anyway the Unattended CD/DVD Guide is updated with most new tips and tricks.

For the record, my pack can be integrated with nLite, and it's still the best way to add hotfixes from a space used and time required standpoint. And XPCREATE is no better than any of the methods we were using two years ago. Get with the times :P

And yeesh Nilfred, trying to scare the poor guy off? Holy way more complicated than it has to be.

bigred, I'm guessing you don't understand that my pack is a direct integration into the CD, meaning it directly overwrites the files in i386. It's the cleanest, most efficient way of doing it. It adds very little to the size of the CD and requires no EXEs to run during setup.

I've ranted on this forum many times about the deficiencies of the /integrate switch, so I'm not going to do that again. But long story short, it sucks and is hardly an "integration".

Ok..thanks for the input guys. I've started messing with things to see how they work. I have now used your Lite pack first Ryan, but somehow my test pc froze up at the 9 minute mark of setup...I'll have to figure out why...

But I appreciate your guys' help. I'll start messing around and ask questions when I have problems....

Dear Sir RyanVM

I integrate Your Pack into xp cd(sp2 by nlite program) manual as nlite didn't integrate it. then I add BTS DriverPacks into the cd ... during setup i got error that refering to missing files and check setup.log i don't know how to integrate both these package

PS I removed Your Pack and the setup went ok????.

thank you in advance

Nobody likes hard ways, but as always, I complain about RyanVM package does not support my locale. So I stick to SimonSays learning curve as best as I can.

If English is your locale use RyanVM pack, if not... you are f**ked.