Is 64bit really better than 32bit?

I'm considering picking up an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor (Winchester) Socket 939. and I have a couple questions, I figure people who have 64-bit processors could tell me.

1) When running Windows XP (32-bit), is the processor still fast (I mean is it comparable to the Intel P4 3.2GHz)

2) How is XP x64 unattended installations? About the same as XP?

3) (I looked and couldn't find) Anyone out there manage to find ATI 9200 All in Wonder drivers that work for XP x64?

Edited by tjhart85

I'm considering picking up an  AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor (Winchester) Socket 939. and I have a couple questions, I figure people who have 64-bit processors could tell me.

1)  When running Windows XP (32-bit), is the processor still fast (I mean is it comparable to the Intel P4 3.2GHz)

2)  How is XP x64 unattended installations?  About the same as XP?

3)  (I looked and couldn't find)  Anyone out there manage to find ATI 9200 All in Wonder drivers that work for XP x64?

Unless you are getting a really good deal on the Winchester try to get a Venice, it is a superior core.

1. Yes

2. About the same

3. This is from the notes on the catalyst x64 driver download page:

WDM Capture Drivers are not included at this time. ALL-IN-WONDER products and VIVO products use the WDM Capture Drivers included with the Operating System.

I think its kind if a dumb question. Of course its better thats why the industry is gearing in the 64bit direction. Yeah aside Win Xp 64 has issues but they will be slowly worked out when more and more companies write 64bit drivers.

And for the dude who started this its 128GB or ram is supports, not some where in the TBS lol.

I think its kind if a dumb question.  Of course its better thats why the industry is gearing in the 64bit direction.  Yeah aside Win Xp 64 has issues but they will be slowly worked out when more and more companies write 64bit drivers.

And for the dude who started this its  128GB or ram is supports, not some where in the TBS lol.

he probly just got it mixed upa as a 64 bit chip can handle 16TB (2^64) of memory, but x64 windows only supports 128GB

Edited by ender341

128GB of physical memory? That would cause some power outages...

physical memory does not really draw all that much current. Motors (such as the ones n fans, hard drives, CD-ROMs, etc), on the other hand, and CPUs...

I have an IBM box @ my work w/ 8 power4 CPUs and 128GB, it draws quite a lot of power but if I hot-remove 7 of the CPUs and turn off the RAID array it's comparable to a P4, current wise... speed, though... :thumbup

I thought I saw this coming when it was 16-32.

Q: what does native data registers have in common between

32 and 64 bit?

A: they load data in the same time period

Q: any 64bit app, os or driver not using native data registers?

A: No, except for the ones not recompiled to native.

Q: anything special an app has to do 32bit-64bit?

A: Yes, recompile.

Wake me up when its 64-128, yaawwn......

You can scoff all you like, rodan. But the fact is my machine runs faster under XP x64 than it did under 32-bit XP. And that's without even going through and locking down the unnecessary services. No, it's not twice as fast. But it is faster.

im looking to upgrade from a 2600 (2.5/400) based 32 bit cpu to a vince 3000.

current system make up is:

2600 ThrBd(OCed@ 2.5Ghz/400FBS),

1GB XMS 2x512 pc3500 downed to 400 to match cpu bus

BBA X800XL AIW AGP reflashed to retain XTPE speeds

sound blaster Audigy 2

Seagate 160GB IDE 7200 RPM

what sort of speed improvement would i see if i stuck with Windows XP Pro and, upgrade the my MB to a MSI Neo Plat 2 in rlation to 32 bit apps like games and suck?

as i understand that the main advantage is the HTT Speed normal (max 2GHZ)

Keeping in mind that i would go to Vista 64 when it was more than 40% feature complete.

Edited by Commander X800

There isn't any speed difference between windows 32bit and windows 64bit when it comes to running 32bit programs and games.

But overall the OS is a little bit faster and 64bit programs and games (far cry) are better and faster.

Ok, I have sat and listened to every opinon known to man.... So Here's MY 2 Cents!

Is x64 a good OS? YES :)

Is x64 Good For the Mainstream For a Basic System Only :}

Does x64 Drivers have a long way to go? Without a Doubt! :yes:

As an example, try and find a Wireless LAN x64 Driver that works! Good Luck!!!!

Does an AMD Athlon 64 Run Faster Than an equivalant Athlon XP on 32-Bit OS? Yes, but it is NOT totally the Processor. the MB actually has a larger impact on Performance. This is in regards to people upgrading to an x64 Processor. Primarily the Chipset I am refering to.

As far as x64 goes at this time. It is an AWESOME choice for Servers (Such as Sever 2003 x64)

It is ALSO in my opinion that currently we are on a learning curve for Driver's and that the Primary goal for Windows XP x64 is actually to pave the way for better quality Drivers, and to give the Industry time to Fully adopt 64-Bit with Vista x64 being the True 64-Bit child that we should look forward too. :thumbup

Windows XP x64 is only our FIRST step on the long road ahead.

Edited by X-Savior

Ok, I have sat and listened to every opinon known to man.... So Here's MY 2 Cents!

Is x64 a good OS? YES  :)

Is x64 Good For the Mainstream For a Basic System Only  :}

Does x64 Drivers have a long way to go? Without a Doubt!  :yes:

As an example, try and find a Wireless LAN x64 Driver that works! Good Luck!!!!

Does an AMD Athlon 64 Run Faster Than an equivalant  Athlon XP on 32-Bit OS? Yes, but it is NOT totally the Processor. the MB actually has a larger impact on Performance. This is in regards to people upgrading to an x64 Processor. Primarily the Chipset I am refering to.

As far as x64 goes at this time. It is an AWESOME choice for Servers (Such as Sever 2003 x64)

It is ALSO in my opinion that currently we are on a learning curve for Driver's and that the Primary goal for Windows XP x64 is actually to pave the way for better quality Drivers, and to give the Industry time to Fully adopt 64-Bit with Vista x64 being the True 64-Bit child that we should look forward too.  :thumbup

Windows XP x64 is only our FIRST step on the long road ahead.

Actually there are a number of wireless lan x64 drivers out there. They aren't provided by the card maker itself (like linksys for example) but you can find them through the makers of the transceivers or whatever.

For example Ralink offers some x64 drivers for their products. They are in some linksys and other brands of wireless.

You can see they have some WHQL certified drivers here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm